Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:28 AM

Who would look after yours ???

I was asked to do a pickup the other day for a 16 year old dog whos owner had gone into sheltered accomodation. Her husband had died and the family didnt want him and so she had taken him to the vets in floods of tears to be pts . He was healthy and the vet offered to help and see if a home could be found for this little fella. I took him to a rescue and hopefully he goes to his new home this weekend

anyway to cut a long story short this episode has really got me thinking about my lot
and what i wanted to ask is-
if something were to happen to you and hubby tomorrow- would there be somewhere lined up for your dogs/cats/other pets to go to ?
I dont have anyone who could look after mine
( and I'll be worrying about this now - as these days I seem to worry about bloody anything and everything)
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:31 AM
I've never thought of that either Lel. My sister would probably take my pair on for me or my mum & dad.
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:33 AM
yep all plans are made for my pets in my will

whatever pets we have will go to my inlaws and if not my eldest would have the house and take care of them all

having macaws that can outlive us it is something we were told to do when buying our jaffa,so thought we,d do it for all of them
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

27-08-2004, 10:52 AM
My dogs go to my parents.

In the event of them not being alive, they would go back to the breeder (as agreed) - well Grace would, Keeper who would have nowhere to go would be pts. He would be too old to rehome and it would stress him out far too much so I think that is the kindest option for him.

I have spoken at length on this subject with other people though and we did think about some doggy guardianship scheme where someone was appointed to take out the instructions in your will. If it was that you wanted the dog pts, they would oversee this and make it as comfortable as these things can be or would keep the dog until the rescue of your choice could take the dog on etc.

What do people think of this idea? I appreciate people cannot take on other people's dogs but could make arrangements if the owner was ill etc.?
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:55 AM
thats a very good idea alison

i,m very lucky as i have a good circle of friends and family who would all be willing to take on my dogs and birds
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Ur birds especailly Jax u have sooo many of them.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Im having quite a big op soon so will ahve to make a wil.I will leave the dogs to lucy who'll want buds and candy and joe will have to have poppy and daisy!failing that it will have to be lab and staffy rescue!!It's a worrying thought though isn't it?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 11:56 AM
Sally I'll have buds and candy!
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 12:04 PM
My daughters would have my dogs.

Traci
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2004, 12:06 PM
my mum would have my cat my best mate would have guinea pig and my ickle max would go and live with my friend kathy who has his sister coco. I sorted it all out a few weeks ago actually. I dont know who would have my kids though!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >