Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Erin
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Crate training

Hey everyone

Just after some advise on crate training.

Alfie absolutely LOVES his crate if the door is open, but I can not get him to settle in it when the doors closed.

We are trying to keep it a nice positive place for him, we feed him his meals in there and give him lots of yummy treats which he'll eat if the doors open but will not touch if we close it.

Does anybody have any ideas on what we could do? Like I said he loves it when it's open, he's currently sprawled out in it now, the problem is just when we shut it.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

28-06-2012, 05:42 PM
feed your dog inside the crate is not good idea.it should be a place of rest,and comfort.close the door and leave.try a place that is quite,check up and give the dog the feeling you are not abandoning.one thing i have done ,exersise the dog and get them tiered.place in the creat for a period of time,usually in the afternoon when dogs are at rest.i never used toys or any stimulants that keep the dog active in the create.they all..4..know its for rest and feel at home.conditioning the dog to lay down and rest,hence make them tiered..its how i train...none of this may work for you!!
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2012, 05:51 PM
I put an old cardigan of mine in with Bailiie - an old item of clothing with your smell on it should help. I did feed and water Bailiie when she was a pup at first, never did her any harm. We left her in there in the day time with the cardy, food and water and the door shut. She hated it at first but soon got used to it; it was a matter of days. She also had a chew stick and toy too, to make her feel like it was a great place
Now, she only sleeps in it at night. She still has water, a chew stick (nylabone) and two little cuddly toys for comfort. It's also now covered up too and she loves it. It comes with us when we go on holiday, it's her little safe bed/home
Good luck, it will get better....
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Shut in for maximum of 2-3 minutes, open door and praise - take any pressure off. Each day add couple minutes longer, show any distress, open door and move off. Do it in gradual baby steps
Thatpupreggie
New Member!
Male 

02-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm going through crate training also. I will lure my dog into his crate, he will usually eat a little and get a drink. While he is doing that i quietly shut the door. I stay next to his crate and talk to him and give him some treats through the door. He is usually pretty calm as long as I am there. Last night was his first night sleeping in the crate and he barely whined. Its a different story if I need to leave him for a little while.
This website helped a lot.
http://www.dog-obedience-training-re...-training.html

Also, I have read, only praise your puppy when he goes into the crate, never when he comes out. Apparently this reenforces that going into the crate is more favorable than coming out.