View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Talking of training -you win some, you lose some!

Within 24 hours we had some great and some not so great moments with Axel!

At the end of our new street, we have a massive field that leads off to other great walking areas we're yet to explore. I took him and my friend who lives on the street to the field last night.
It was about 8.30 and Axel was having a great gallop around. As we neared the edge of the field, Axel and I spotted a rabbit at the same time...He's never seen a rabbit while he's been off lead before, normally I spot them first (some sighthound he is! ) and can get him on lead. Anyway, there was a few seconds where neither myself or Axel moved or did anything. Then I turned on my happiest voice and called him. He did the classic of looking to me, then the rabbit, then me....I turned and ran with Emma waving our arms and calling him excitedly. At first when I glanced back he was still doing his tennis-watching face....then the second time I turned around and he was running full pelt towards us! I was soooo proud and surprised! My boy did good!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying for a moment that if the rabbit had run he wouldn't have chased, I believe he would...he's not completely forgotten his racing days, but he was still a star for coming back!

Now onto the losing some...this morning I went back to the same field before work. There was a lady we've met in the distance with her male rottie and his 3 adolescent sons and I hoped we'd make it as far as them...but no joy. Axel completely ignored me for the most part and took FOREVER sniffing almost every blade of grass! I guess he was sniffing where the rabbits were ... So we had to head back. Better luck next time!
Also, yesterday was the first time I left him alone in the new house. He didn't destroy anything, but did go back to making some noise. Not the whole time, but occasionally. So a mixed result.
I don't know how he's done today while I've been at work, but I'm leaving there now and I'll watch the video when home. I hope he soon settles...at least I've forewarned the neighbours!

Anyone else have a mixed bag of success with their dogs?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Great news with the rabbit!! it is so funny when they do the ping pong watching thing I swear Ben says 'buuut muum!!!!!' and pouts his lip

and oh yes every day with Mia is great sucesses and giant failures she does it to keep me humble
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2012, 01:03 PM
there like our childeren...you have to choose your battles and march on!!
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 02:43 PM
with opie it's a work in progress with the sit/stay at a distance. some days he will choose to do it, others he chooses to come back to me and sit in front of me we even had a first yesterday. he sat in front of the garden gate without barking while a tractor pulled up. admittdly, i was bribing him with some nice smelly treats but it's a start
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Great news about the rabbit...........we have a mixed 'sometimes' with Tess

Take the other day it was pouring down so Pat decided not to get out the car...with a wave and ''your a mad woman'' he saw me walk off with the 4 of them
I walked them played with them and suddenly the sun came out ...and so did Pat

I saw him and said '' there's dad'' 3 dogs took off to him....one went the other way and plonked two huge dirty wet paws up a kid walking the opposite way

specsavers needed TESS
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2012, 02:33 PM
there is always a bit of win and lose where phoebe is concerned.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks guys Glad I'm not the only one!