Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Two labs in poor condition.....

.......maybe I need some spurring on to get some guts to say something, feel bad I didn't say something last time.

Two black labs which he takes shooting during season that I sometimes walk / look after while their owner and wife are away think this is the third time I've looked after them, are kept in a wooden kennel only have rubber mats to lie on and are fed cheap dog food. He said something like ''I feed one of them less in the evening and more in the morning so he doesn't mess over night'' basically I think he can't be a**ed to clean the run very often would rather they went in a field. Also has a (dirty looking) automatic horse water drinker for them, probably so he doesn't have to make the effort to give them fresh every day also personally I like to know how much my dogs drink.

They look in pretty poor condition can pretty much count the ribs of the taller one I think if he didn't have that lab coat you'd be able to see them all. The coats are dull and thick (the little one has a really thick dull coat) because they must use a lot of energy to keep warm.

I feel bad that I didn't say some thing when I looked after them in the winter ..... I had to break the ice in the water bucket (automatic thing had frozen) inside their kennel, next to where they sleep as it was so cold. I should have said something but didn't have the guts and one way or another I had a lot going on and it didn't happen.

The owner is a vicar his wife used to be a school teacher they have a lovely house, car, caravan and have a nice life style etc. So the very least they could do is put some straw in for bedding and spend a bit more on dog food

What should I do / say?? The dogs are obviously not at deaths door or anything but could be in much better condition. Or any other advice welcome.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I would have said that the frozen water is the big thing and, yes, you should have said something then. If you get a similar opportunity I thing I would say that really it would be best if they had straw bedding as well.

However, as I understand it the gun dog side of the Lab breed tend to be more skinny and the aim is for a slightly hour glass figure. Mine is slightly ribby but if I allowed her what she would like then she would resemble a beer keg! From what you have said I think a casual "she seems awfully thin" might be in order but equally he might be consciously maintaining the body shape.

Cheap food does not always mean bad food, we feed Chappy as it suits her delicate tum and she has bags of energy and a shiny coat which is commented on all the time. I do supplement with occasional minced offal (cooked) and left over veg but its 90% of what she eats. So I wouldn't automatically have an issue with the food.

My experience with some highly religious people is that they view animals as having been put on the earth, by God, for our service and their attitude towards animal welfare is somewhat slacker as a result. I.e. having these animals serve us is our God given right.

Its a difficult position to be in but if you have genuine concerns then its best to raise them.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 12:33 PM
sadly im a gob all mighty and would say something. No bedding and frozen water isnt on. As for cheep food i cant really comment as phoebe spent 2 years on food that was £8 for 15kg as i was having money problems if im having a skint month now she gets that for that few weeks again. Sadly some people think the rspca minimum standard is what they should be aiming for.
i would maybe lead by example empty and clean the water thing. get some straw of shreded paper for kennels. Let him come home to find you grooming the dogs. get a bit extra food in their tummys while hes away. either let him know what your doing or be secret about it so dogs get a bit of a pamper while daddys away. but i would do something. I have a habit of treating all dogs they way i treat my own. My mums pooches are in for a reality check next month when i go to stay
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 01:06 PM
How awful. I don't understand why they want dogs if they treat them that way?

How do you know these people?

As far as I am concerned there is no excuse for a lack of basic husbandry. If they are not in a proper insulated kennel they should at the very least have adequate, warm bedding. It is not good for a dogs joints to spend all of their time lying on a hard floor especially not in cold overnight conditions.
Cavapoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2012, 01:28 PM
That's a really hard one I know I would really struggle to say anything. The lack of beds/warmth worries me the most how on earth did they survive the winter it was sooo cold Could u buy a couple of beds and pretend they were given to u or something? Offer it the to him? or I wonder if the RSPCA wold go round and talk to him?? These r the cowards ways of course-I wonder if your concerns would be met friendly if u did speak to him? People don't like being told they're cruel etc!!

So hard good luck.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks to you both, yes I have no problem with people getting what you can afford to feed your dogs or if an inexpensive band suits a dog, fine, no problem But these two aren't doing well on it and the owner could VERY easily afford better.....

I do understand the want for lean fit gun dogs (our's you can see ribs when they move) but they should be healthy. I guess I mean the difference between lean and fit vs thin and poor the taller lab has gone past lean hour glass on to being a bit bony and angular. And both just generally look in really poor condition, I took them up to show my Dad for his opinion he said along the lines of '' Looks like they could do with a good meal and worming and coats look really poor ''

Yeah I guess it's more that I don't like to see dogs like that when I know 100% that this man could afford to be looking after them much better.

I have lead by example with another dog I walked (took the mats out of it's coat) which resulted in the owner grooming it more but I don't think this chap with the labs would really care BUT maybe it's worth a try next time I walk his dogs I'll see what I can do

Ok thanks for advice for now maybe I'll try and say something casually about thinness and straw.

Yes I do feel bad about the frozen water etc. If they are left how they were last winter and I'm asked to look after them I'd almost be tempted to take them home give them a wash and keep them in our house!

Edited to add this was a reply to the first two replies!
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
How awful. I don't understand why they want dogs if they treat them that way?

How do you know these people?

As far as I am concerned there is no excuse for a lack of basic husbandry. If they are not in a proper insulated kennel they should at the very least have adequate, warm bedding. It is not good for a dogs joints to spend all of their time lying on a hard floor especially not in cold overnight conditions.
They live in our village and I'm known round here for walking / looking after dogs.

Glad you agree about their housing Will have to say something.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by Cavapoo View Post
That's a really hard one I know I would really struggle to say anything. The lack of beds/warmth worries me the most how on earth did they survive the winter it was sooo cold Could u buy a couple of beds and pretend they were given to u or something? Offer it the to him? or I wonder if the RSPCA wold go round and talk to him?? These r the cowards ways of course-I wonder if your concerns would be met friendly if u did speak to him? People don't like being told they're cruel etc!!

So hard good luck.
Thanks yeah almost thought of RSPCA I know the dogs are probably ok for them not to be ceased but would think they'd get a warning from RSPCA to improve things well I'd hope so!
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Well next time you look after them maybe the local RSPCA officer can accidentally bump into you and express concern at the state of your dogs only to be told, of course, that they aren't your dogs
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:21 PM
You could maybe give them a copy of a body scoring/conditioning chart, or mention another gundog person, RSPA inspector or vet had mentioned their condition.

Then you could mention perhaps it's to do with the housing/bedding/feeding arrangements and offer some suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >