Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Renewal - What would you do?

I was paying £12 a month for Ks insurance and we've had our renewal though at £18 a month. I went on compare the meerkat and the same policy is coming up at £11 a month. I phoned more than who said it was because Ks policy is based on risk and as she has claimed for a UTI this is bumping the price up (its one of those policies you can keep claiming forever until you reach your limit so long as you renew). I said the condition cost me 130 and after excess I only got about 40 back anyway but she said it didnt matter and could not match the online price or lower the renewal.

Would you take the renewal knowing if K got it again she would be covered. The UTI wasnt expensive and simple to treat but Im worried that it will exclude her from all other (potentially more serious) bladder related claims in future, or buy a new policy and save the £84 a year based on the fact shes never had it since.

Just to add Im happy with more than claim wise, got my claim form in a couple of days and my money is about a week no qibbles at all.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2012, 07:48 AM
Have you discussed with the vet what sort of UTI it was and the likelihood of it recurring?
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2012, 07:57 AM
No I hav'nt SB, but I will do that
tipsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Who are you insured with hun? xxx
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2012, 09:53 AM
More than Claire xx
tipsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Not all insurance companies put your premium up because you have claimed...a lot, rather than personally putting the 'claimers' premium up, actually look at how many total claims for everyone they have had over the past 12 months and adjust everyone's premium a little bit, whether they claimed or not, to spread the risk and cost.

if I was you I would ring Pet plan and ask for a quote With all the companies we deal with at work they really do seem the best... not the cheapest but they refute less claims than the others and only do so if justified, where as some other companies will use any excuse to get out of paying.

They would only exclude future bladder problems that were related to the UTI that she has already had, so like SB said talking to the vet would be a good idea to see what caused it/likelihood of recurrence. But if she developed future problems with her bladder unrelated to that UTI you would still be covered for them... sometimes it takes sending a letter in from the diagnosing vet stating that the two conditions are not related (ie the new one and the previous UTI), but it shouldn't be a problem if there is no medical connection.

It may also be an idea, if you are thinking of moving, to get a copy of their medical history... as I have knows people who thought that their pet had no pre existing conditions, but simple things like treatment for dermatitis when younger (though not claimed for as under excess) have meant that they have unknowingly been excluded for skin conditions when they have moved policies. Pre-existing conditions is anything treated or noted before the policy conception, not just illnesses claimed for.

Wow I literally could talk about pet insurance all day you know lol

lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I am with More Than, and I think they are really good. I have claimed for just under £1000 (for the one accident) and my policy only went up by just over £1... and it has gone up by a £1 every year anyway.

They were fast to send the claims form, and I found them easy to deal with.

I am looking to insure Arrow now (his 4 weeks free insurance with PetPlan runs out soon), and I will most likely go with More Than for him too. I am looking around a bit though, and am thinking of Protect Your Bubble, but I expect I will go with More Than.

No way am I going with PetPlan though, for a similar cover it is £12.87 with More Than, and £25.60 something with PetPlan