Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 06:48 PM

Low cost campsites

I know there are a few on here who have caravans and such. Just wondered if anyone had some tips for a good campsite, that doesn't cost the earth! We're not looking for all singing and dancing ones. EHU and a loo will do fine lol. We got a folding camper at the end of last summer and we want to get a lot of use out of it this year. But I get put off by campsites that are expensive. On the face of it some look not bad, perhaps £17 per night, but thats only for 2 people, then they want extra for the 2 girls, the dog, the awning and before you know it you're hitting over £30 pn. I can find travel lodges cheaper than that lol. Not worried whereabouts in the UK they are, we're planning on taking it to Scotland when we go to visit relative. Spending a week with them and then going off for a few weeks. So anywhere there, the lake district, yorkshire etc. And then when we get home again, spend a few days here and there travelling about
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Have trailer will travel,.........no reccomendations from me but do enjoy yourselves.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2012, 03:53 AM
I know that it is a long time since I went camping, but I mainly camped on sites belonging to http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/

I started camping as a single mother with one tent and offspring aged 7 and 5 years, and ended up with my two plus two "borrowed" and five tents. I was not bothered about the lack of facilities as the sites were where I wanted to go, and I only had to pay the pitch fee. They charged just for the pitch, not per person/size of tent / caravan etc - although the site fees for a caravan were probably higher. But that was still one price for the pitch, not per person.

Only at one site, and I forget which but it was a Bank Holiday so maybe they charged differently, did I have to pay for two pitches as I had more than one tent.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 04:42 AM
http://www.theaa.com/travel/inspirat...van-sites.html

Lots of sites list them. I advise you to invest in a campsite directory book - invaluable when you are on the road and can't get online to find places. There was no internet when I last went camping!

Some allow only tents, others don't allow tents so it's worth finding out in advance - my main concern was excellent toilet facilities and proximity to stuff for the kids.

The Caravan and Camping Club has 'Hideaway sites' that were always very cheap but most require you to have your own toilet facilities.

We used to stay at the most expensive as we always wanted swimming pool, proximity to beaches and lots of stuff for the kids to do without having to take them out somewhere else every day.

Lots of campsites do not allow dogs - so if you are taking yours - essential to check first.

The cost you mentioned didn't seem expensive to me. Thirty years ago we were paying £15 a night for just the pitch down in Cornwall. And yes, it is true that it is often cheaper to stay in accommodation - but we didn't go camping, caravanning and campervanning to save money - we did it because the kids LOVED IT!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 05:54 AM
don't know if this is allowed, but Uk campsite is the one i find the most helpfull especially the reviews

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Alex, what you need are the Caravan Club CL sites (Certificated Locations) these are always in rural locations, often on a farm, and are limited to five caravans or campers max, per night so they are often the choice of people like you with dogs and who want a nice secluded site.

They are the ONLY sites which I choose when I am touring in my camper and I just renewed the club membership specifically so I can check out the available site on line, if you tell me where you are going I'll look up some for you but it might take a few days as I only sent the cheque to them today.

Malka is also correct in saying that the other club Camping & Caravan Club run a similar scheme but I am not a member so can't look up their sites.

The Caravan Club CL sites nearly always have water, electricity, and waste disposal but not always a toilet block so you may need a 'porta potty'

ETA:-
Nearly forgot, the cost is usually between £6 to £10 per night inclusive, the absolute maximum I've seen is £12 per night but I avoid them !!!!

The 'normal' Caravan Club sites are a rip off IMO with charges of £20 per van or more and some of them even demand a minimum of two nights stay
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I know that it is a long time since I went camping, but I mainly camped on sites belonging to http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/
Malka, I was undecided which of the two main clubs to join, I spoke to the C&CC who had a stand at a show. At the time they didn't have as many sites as the CC so that was why I joined them and not the C&CC.

I do know people who are in both but not living in UK that would make my subs nearly a hundred pounds which is a bit OTT, as I said in the post above I am only interested in the CL locations, I don't have the time or the inclination to partake in all the rallies and social activities.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 10:14 AM
I've used this site in the past for places to camp and found it very useful.

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites-home
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks all, some excellent information there Malka I knew about the C&CC but am unsure as to whether to become a member or not, and Losos I didn't know there was another club!! Going to look into that.

I've also bookmarked all the other links given, thanks folk
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
I didn't know there was another club!! Going to look into that.
They compete vigorously with each other for members and both claim to be the best (Well they would wouldn't they)

The only thing I would say is make sure that all the sites can be accessed on line because it's surprising how quickly a printed members handbook becomes outdated. In two years I've seen more than ten sites close and be taken out on line, they are still in the members handbook 'tho
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >