Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 05:39 PM

Car Insurance

Since my OH crashed my car (his fault), and only insured 3rd party, I haven't had a car for the past 18 months. I am insured as a named driver on my dads insurance.

I have today treated myself to a Peugeot 206. Only 1.1 engine, but big enough to get me to and from work and back again. I Pick it up next Friday. Not a new one - on an 03 plate.

I have asked for insurance quotes, and for me alone, it's almost 700 quid. I have never had an accident, claim or speeding point. I knew car insurance had gone up, but not by that much!!

My last car was an 1800 engine (estate), and my insurance was only £340 fully comp 18 months ago!!

I am about to ring my dads insurance to see if I have any no claims due to being a named driver. I know Direct Line to it, but not sure if LV do?

Anyone any ideas on how to reduce the insurance cost?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
I'm wondering if the insurance is high because the 206 is a nippy little hatchback with very good handling (even though it has a small engine) and a favourite of young drivers?

Not sure how many miles you do but you could look into putting it on a limited mileage policy. I did that with my show car which only ever came out on nice days and to drive back and forth to national car shows in the summer. Think I had it on a 6000 mile policy and it brought the cost down.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Hi deb,
I was a named driver on O/H's policy for yrs before going on my own two yrs ago,my insurance gave me 5 yrs no claims as an introductory offer,so I now have 7 yrs NCD, and as a result my insurance has dropped this year.

So it may be worth speaking to your insurer's as some give discount when you are and have been a named driver on another policy.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for that Leanne and Sal. I will give them a ring to discuss the situation about being a named driver and the mileage. I only need it to work and back, so I expect that I'll probably only do about 6k per year.

I can't wait to pick it up. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I do like it. and Yes, Leanne, it is nippy. It'll be okay for chucking the dogs in the back and away we go when my OH is at work at the weekend.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 04:02 PM
My work's vehicle is a 206 van, a 1.4 HDi and I have so much fun with it. When I was into sporty hatchbacks I never liked the 206 but I can now see why they were popular with boy racers!
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 04:21 PM
I never thought that I'd like a peugeot, but since taking it for a run out, I really do like it!!

It's dead nippy, nice and quiet, cd player....... nice car
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Try adding some low risk drivers to your policy, even if they will probably never drive the car. By adding my 59 year old parents (both have their own cars and no claims) it reduced my premium significantly (I am 28 ). Have you tried adding parents/other family members/low risk friends? Just make sure you keep yourself as the main driver!
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Good idea Gemma, My dad (who's insurance i'm on as a named driver), could be put on mine as a second. Although will it be detremental? He's 70

I'll ring them next week. I'll let you know. Cheers
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
My work's vehicle is a 206 van, a 1.4 HDi and I have so much fun with it. When I was into sporty hatchbacks I never liked the 206 but I can now see why they were popular with boy racers!
I thought that I was buying a sensible old woman's car