Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2012, 01:24 PM

Morality of spending lots on a dog ..

So talking too someone i went to school with and the subject got on to dogs as he knew my old gsd...
To cut the story short he thinks its immoral that people spend 1000s on pups ...
Why do people think this way about dogs ??
And yet would not think twice about wearing a watch worth 1000s when you can get a Casio for a tenner ...
or spending 50000 on a car when you can spend 9 ....
And soo on ....

Why pick on dogs ...???

Soz just pizzed off
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I could never understand that mentality either.

I distinctly remember thinking it was odd that horse folk I was on a forum with would happily spend £thousands on a horse but wouldn't pay anywhere near that for a dog - as though dogs were less worthy than horses.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 01:29 PM
I guess it just depends on what is important to the individual person, everyone is free to do whatever they want with their own money!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Why is it immoral? as you say, it is no different to spending big money on a fancy holiday, car, piece of jewelry. In fact, it is MUCH better than any of those things. They do say that money can't buy you happiness, but I say it totally can in the form a dog!

What people choose to spend their money on that they have earned is their decision. It really does wind me up when people tell you something is a "waste of money". Whatever it is, is obviously not a "waste of money" to the person who purchased it.
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
So talking too someone i went to school with and the subject got on to dogs as he knew my old gsd...
To cut the story short he thinks its immoral that people spend 1000s on pups ...
Why do people think this way about dogs ??
And yet would not think twice about wearing a watch worth 1000s when you can get a Casio for a tenner ...
or spending 50000 on a car when you spend 9 ....
And soo on ....

Why pick on dogs ...???

Soz just pizzed off
Some people just don't get it, and that is their loss IMHO.

Just as an aside, I used to be pretty heavily into watches - just about to sell quite a few of them to fund a puppy acquisition!

I only really need a Casio!
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 01:39 PM
I'd rather pay £££ for a pup and know that it was from a reputable breeder, who had done health tests, given it a good start and if anything went wrong would take the dog back, rather than spend a lot less and probably fund a puppy farm or godawful breeder.

Re someones horse comment, i find a lot of people won't spend more than £100 odd for a dog, yet would buy a 2k saddle £250 set of tendon boots £450 show jacket £900 riding boots without the bat of an eyelid! Not to mention the cost of diesel in a lorry!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I've never understood that either. A lot of the people I know think nothing of spending £100+ every weekend on booze, fags, taxi fare etc yet thought I was mad for paying 200 euros for a dog.

Personally I think they're nuts spending £50 on a top or pair of designer jeans when they can get perfectly serviceable ones at Primark for a fraction of the price but hey, each to their own
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd much rather spend lots on dogs than on anything for myself..but that's just my preference. I guess it depends on what the person deems important. Some people like material things and spend on them...I personally am not like that....I like to see my dogs ok first, but then they are my life
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Some people just don't get it, and that is their loss IMHO.

Just as an aside, I used to be pretty heavily into watches - just about to sell quite a few of them to fund a puppy acquisition!

I only really need a Casio!
Good name for a pup - Casio

Each to their own. If someone wants to spend their money on cars, jewellery etc that is down to them, even if I thought they were 'wasting' their money I would not be so rude as to say it.
How much unconditional love do you get from the new Jag whose value goes down the minute you drive it out the showroom?.
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Well if you look at it from a different slant I think it is sort of immoral that dogs are sold as commodities and certain breeds fetch a much higher price than other breeds or mongrels when they are essentially the same animal. It seems a shame that dogs for many people have become purchases and that certain aesthetics are privileged over others, for example you can pick up a working border collie pup for £100-200 whereas a pug or boston terrier will cost you nearly £1k. So I am looking at it from the slightly philosophical perspective that it's wrong to put a price on the life of an animal, although of course that's not to say it's an entirely rational perspective!

As for spending money on dogs, I spent nearly £300 on my puppy the week before we got her. She has so many toys she gets all excited trying to play with them all at once and her bed is comfier than mine!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »