Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Hocus and my Dads crotch.

Hocus thinks prodding my Dad in the crotch is a good way to get attention.
Obviously my Dad isn't keen on this behaviour and is starting to get very irate with him.

I have tried getting Hocus to sit and Dad to stroke him calmly when he comes in. When Dad stops stroking if I don't take Hocus away he will prod Dad to get him to carry on.

If Dad ignores Hocus he will keep prodding until he gets attention.

I can have organised a nice greeting and then distract Hocus with a toy but at some point he will go up and prod him.

He isn't sniffing, it's a sharp jab.
He doesn't do it to me, I've asked my mum and sister and they say he has done it maybe once each to them, with my Dad it is every time. Hocus doesn't meet any other men on a regular basis so I couldn't say if it is only my Dad or all men.

I need to get this sorted ASAP as my parents help let my dogs out when I'm out and currently Dad doesn't want to be anywhere near Hocus, which is a huge shame as they were great friends until this started.

Any ideas how we can train this out? My Dad is more than willing to try things to stop this.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-04-2012, 08:08 PM
iv got a dog who did this as well,there was no putting up with it for me,i corrected this fast, took the dog back to basics.he would do it to others and nothing was done, i had enough one day when the dog put me to my knees.the dog respect all and we simply changed how we enter a door and how the dog greats people,usally while sitting.its one of the few times i used treats for training.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Oh dear, I am so sorry but this had me laughing for a bit, and I thought of suggesting a cricketers box for your poor father. Sorry

Anyway, I am sure that someone will be along with good advice, but I wondered if removing the reward for the behaviour would stop him quicker than anything else. Perhaps if your Dad had a small cushion as a barrier, then when Hocus does his prodding he just ignores him totally, it might work. In fact no attention whatsoever given to Hocus whenever he nudges anyone anywhere.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-04-2012, 08:23 PM
iv also got a dog who love her ears rubbed so bad,often she will seek me out and run her head up my legs,if she gets between my legs from behind,she will lift me up off the floor,she weighs 132pounds im 140!!and shes not very dainty!
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I did suggest a cricketers box and Dad was very unamused.
This afternoon I was at my parents and I'd nipped to the loo asking mum to watch the dogs, I heard the bellow from my dad through the floor as he arrived home.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Not for headbutting you in the crotch but for just jumping up in general ....

I was told many years ago that - if you lift one knee quick enough - the dog's chest will connect with it and the dog will sort of 'fall backwards' but won't associate it with YOU doing it? Because you didn't touch it or shout at it?

It worked for the GSD I had at the time who just would NOT stop jumping right up at everyone who came in the door.

I guess that she thought jumping up caused her to fall over?

*should add that this bit of 'advice' is now about 30 yrs old but it was the only dog I've ever owned who had this problem
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:29 PM
As to greeting people while he is sitting this is what I am teaching him as otherwise he will jump up.
The problem is Hocus does the jabbing whilst he is in a sit position.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Ahh our posts crossed. I sort of assumed he was doing this when your dad 'came into the house' or when he first saw him, not at any time or even when he was sitting down.

Maybe your dad could get some flavoured underpants that dogs don't like the smell of? OK I am going!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:35 PM
No help here I'm afraid, but the thread title really made me chuckle: sort've like a really dodgy film title!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Well it is sort of funny! I've just been googling more up to date advice on this problem and still can't come up with anything better than what I was told 30 odd years ago

a slight knee to the chest
Dismissing all the other advice like
Bathe more often
Put hot chilly on your ....
Kick the dog
Stamp on it's paws
Change your shower gel fragrance
blah blah!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >