View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 01:58 PM

Help - imminent surgery and other dog pining if it goes wrong.

Sorry that's the best title I could think of.

Long story short, 2 dogs been together 10 years, older one by 6 months as shown his age over the last few months (flatcoat) last week he collapsed and blood tests are indicating a tumor or several on the pancreas. He's booked in for surgery tmw morning to remove tumor and hopefully it will give us another 12 months. However IF he's in a bad way we will give the ok for him to be PTS. I always thought I'd have the dog PTS at home and let the other one see it. Obviously this won't happen, would I be sounding like an idiot if I asked to bring the other dog in to see the flattie when he's gone? Is it worth it? Or should I just leave it ? Obviously this is if he doesn't make it

What would you do ?
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Very sorry to hear about your dog

I can't tell you what to do, as only you know what you feel. I can tell you about us though:

When our Boots died (she was pts at the vets after having cancer and a stroke) our other dog, Jake was with her until the end. He sniffed, tapped her nose with his nose and 'knew' she was gone. He didn't go looking for her in the house. We thought it best, rather than Boots being put in the car, and not coming home - we didn't want him fearing the car. It has backfired a bit, as he is now frightened of the vets, instead.

Hope that confused rambling helped. I send positive vibes to you and your dogs for Monday. Fingers crossed the news is hopeful.