Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Geriatric house cat

has anyone had a geriatric cat who wont do their business outside or use litter tray in the house??

from about the age of 11 our cat now 21 years old has had a horrid problem which we have never been able to find out the reason for has been pooping in our house -.-

I don't suppose I will find a way round it now at her age, we provide her with a litter tray and she was trained when we got her up untill the age of 11 and then seemed to forget she was supposed to go outside. we tried feliway and while its worked on others its not done anything for our cat, we have gone through vet checks to find out if their is anything wrong her and she has all ways come back clear. we had her checked for diabetes (i think) last year in her usual m.o.t
as she began drinking more but again she is free from any health problems (not bad really for a 21 year old))

for last three years she has remained an indoor cat only going out in the warmer months (don't blame her really at her age) and last year before christmas she really seemed to be slowing down a lot but I changed her food to Purely and she is now a very good weight (she went painfully thin before christmas)

I trim her nails once a month, clean up after her and she is a lot of hard work suprisingly, though parents clean up after her as well other then that we tend not to fuss over her too much, she has access to fresh water both upstairs and downstiars and for some reason has taken a recent liking to sitting in the bath after one of us has had a shower o.0

Pebbles has great controll over the dog too loves charging into the kitchen and giving the dog a good slap in the face and a hiss and then marching off to my chair to sit on!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Does she have accidents in one place or in several? As my Siamese got older she started to use one area of floor rather than litter tray moving tray to that spot solved the problem.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Does she have accidents in one place or in several? As my Siamese got older she started to use one area of floor rather than litter tray moving tray to that spot solved the problem.
She has several places round the house as well as a litter tray she uses to wee in but also wees in one other place, I guess the pooping is the big thing as she refuses to go in the litter tray for poohs.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi: You may want to check out this article: http://www.catsinternational.org/art...box_users.html