Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marti210
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2013, 02:01 AM

Allergic Dog

Hi All!

I have a terrier mutt that we think has allergies - we took her to the vet this past weekend because she had scratched her eyes pretty badly over the last few days. They put her on an antibiotic, Clavamox, 62.5mg, and an allergy med, Hydroxyzine, 25mg. It worked the first couple of days - she wasn't scratching around as bad - but now, we're back to seeing her scratching all over and running her eyes against the couch.

I'm wondering if I can give her Bendaryl in addition to the Hydroxyzine. She weighs 15 lbs.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Ring your vet, no point taking chances. You can bathe her eyes in saline, ie salt and water. This can help the irritation x
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2013, 05:38 PM
I'm so sorry your dog is suffering. Were you asked by the vet:
* What are you feeding as many dogs are allergic to cereals. One of my dogs is intolerant to cereals,beef,chicken,pork)
* Do you use a carpet cleaner on the floors? (If so don't)
* Do you wash your dogs bedding using biological washing powder or gel or a conditioner? (If so, use a non-bio washing powder/gel and no conditioner)
* I assume you use a dog shampoo and not a human one. Also if you are using a dry powder 'shampoo' don't until you can work out what she is allergic to)

My dogs are both fed Orijen Fish Kibble which has proved to be perfect for my 'allergic' dog. I believe its made in Canada.

There has got to be something triggering her scratching. I immediately put my dog on a really basic diet (white fish and boiled rice) and started increasing the ingredients to see what was triggering the scratching. You can get your dog allergy tested at the vet which may be worth doing as it sounds as though your dog is suffering.

I can't help you with the meds, but as has already been mentioned ask your vet. If your vet suggests steroids (which will give your dog some relief) be very wary for more than a short period of time as they really do have some nasty side effects).

The best of luck to you I know only too well what a pain it is having a dog with allergies.
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2013, 10:09 PM
How long have you had her, if you have had her for a good while she could have got into some thing/rolled in some stuff [ as some dogs do ] or eaten something that you may not know abount, if you have not had her long it could be a change of food / envierment what ever it could be it could be a while befor you find out what it could be.
I would check with the Vet before giveing items on top of what he has given also ask him if he would do some skin scraping