Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerberos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Staffs who chew at the carpet.

I am looking at having another staff. Grifter had a thing for pulling up the carpet a bit while we were awaiting his shots so I could actually get him out for walks. I am looking to have another staff, but I will be in a different place by them; this new landlord does not seem big on puppies, therefore I need to make sure as little damage is done as possible, if I can convince her. In the end, I'd just like any tip on minimizing destructiveness, period; I realize pups will be pups as kids will be kids, I'd just like some ideas and/or reassurance. Cheers!
Zuluandnaomi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Staffs are great chewers so it is always a good idea to make sure they have plenty of chew toys and things like Kongs are great for mentally stimulating them too.

They can get a bit destructive if they get bored, so its really important to give them lots of things to do. I would also recommend crate training so you know the house will be safe if they have to be left alone.

All dogs are different...some definitely have a taste for carpet lol. Theres nothing to say that your next dog will take a fancy to it, but generally it happens out of boredom, or even separation anxiety. If you do catch your dogs doing it, a hand clap and a firm No or similar to break their attention. You can also spray like a sour apple spray on things they take a like to chewing to discourage it. I personally have never had a problem with my boy chewing anything other than his toys, but you definitely need to keep their minds occupied.
Wild Rose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I'll second the crate training. Makes housebreaking easier, and if he should ever have to be confined he will be comfortable in his crate. First thing in the morning, take the pup and dog out for a run and a bit of play. This ensures that they empty and get some of the jiggles out. Keep the puppy with you at all times that he is not in the crate. For this you can use the "umbilical method", which is to tie a short leash to your waist, of course clipped onto the dog. This way he is never around the corner getting into trouble and you have plenty of opportunity to work on things like don't jump on people, sit, leave it.

Bones give dogs a really good chew so check with your butcher or grocer and find a source for suitable bones. Kongs are good when the bone is done. Puppies need to chew because teething hurts, and chewing helps to set the teeth. Since he'll be attached to you, you can take inappropriate items from him (Fido, give. Good boy.)