Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HayleyK
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2011, 10:08 PM

Teething or Biting???

Hi I have recently had a puppy. He is Cocker/Springer cross which I think is referred to as a 'Sprocker'?

He is only 8 weeks old and mouths at me and my husband a lot. I have been told that this is normal but as his teeth are getting bigger they are also getting sharper and it can hurt if caught unaware! I have tried advice received such as saying 'No' and moving him away also making a yelping sound and turning my back on him. The latter seems to work but it continues soon after and I would really appreciate some experienced knowledge regarding the best way to stop it.
Or will he grow out of it like some people have suggested?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by HayleyK View Post
He is only 8 weeks old and mouths at me and my husband a lot. I have been told that this is normal but as his teeth are getting bigger they are also getting sharper and it can hurt if caught unaware! I have tried advice received such as saying 'No' and moving him away also making a yelping sound and turning my back on him. The latter seems to work but it continues soon after and I would really appreciate some experienced knowledge regarding the best way to stop it.
Or will he grow out of it like some people have suggested?
Dogs rarely grow OUT of things, only INTO them,

His behaviour is perfectly normal, have a look here

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discu...c=64170.0;wap2
HayleyK
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Thank you so much the article is really interesting.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi. My pup is now 10 and a half weeks old and is just at the stage of softening her mouthing as she now knows that that is acceptable whereas hard biting isn't. Of course, when she's excited she forgets .

Keep at it and follow the advice on the link - it works pretty well. Puppies can be such hard work, but well worth it and they soon grow up into well-mannered dogs with a bit of time and effort
HayleyK
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Thank you it's good to know we're on the right track
misskatie20
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Hi, maybe I can be of some help I recently had the same problem with my pup, since I got her some pig ears and raw hides the problem has disappeared, I realised she needed something harder to chew on as she was teething really bad and the toys she had were just too soft, since then training has become so much easier. You probably have something for her to chew on already and I don't know much about her breed, my puppy being part staff has strong jaws so she needs something really hard, I'm sure you'll find what works for you and your pup soon xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Just wanted to warn that rawhide chews get slimy and can block the airway. I have had to yank one out of my dog`s throat to avoid him choking. If you do use them, never leave the dog unattended with one.