Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Hi Life moist

Gemma is such a fussy sod! Iv perservered [sp?] for over 6 months with her, feeding kibble in the morning the same as the boys, if she doesnt eat it its picked up after 20mins. and a tin of butchers tripe in the evenings.
She eats the tin strait away, no problem. But the kibble! not a chance! she wont touch it, even if its soaked, she may have a mouthful if I put salmon oil on it, but a mouthful is as far as it goes :S There is nothing wrong with the food, the boys eat it fine, no problems, but because Gemma has slight dwarfism the vets have warned us about problems eating :S I may have to research this further.

But anyway, I didnt want to put her solely onto tins, so I bought her some hi life moist yesterday and so far so good.

My other little dog Sophie [R.I.P] used to be very fussy, so she eventually had Hi life aswell.

Anyone have any experience with this food?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Hi life is what I use as a training treat - and not often as it is rubbish. Have you tried maybe just feeding her once a day or mixing the kibble in with the tin. Maybe go half a tin with kibble in the morning and half a tin with kibble in the evening. We do this with Benjie when we're at the caravan because he won't eat kibble on it's own and apart from raw at home - I won't feed just wet food, it's always kibble.
mad-dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2011, 03:50 PM
it has genetically modified ingredients- total crap!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Hi life is what I use as a training treat - and not often as it is rubbish. Have you tried maybe just feeding her once a day or mixing the kibble in with the tin. Maybe go half a tin with kibble in the morning and half a tin with kibble in the evening. We do this with Benjie when we're at the caravan because he won't eat kibble on it's own and apart from raw at home - I won't feed just wet food, it's always kibble.
I wouldnt feed her once a day. And I wouldnt feed her tin and kibble because they digest at different rates so not good.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I mix Whisper's wet food kibble as there's no way she will eat kibble on its own. If the kibble isn't thoroughly mixed in she will leave it......

But mixed together she eats it fine. No idea about the digestion thing but certainly no problems doing this with her.

She was used to eating Pedigree Chum and anything she fancied (she was thin when the rescue took her in) just to get her to eat so got a bit spoiled. So we compromise by mixing the kibble in. I have seen it suggested in various places with no mention of problems with digestion?

Surely the food we eat (as humans!) all gets digested at different rates too - but we eat it all together on one plate with no major side-effects?

Personally; I would prefer to mix two good quality ingredients (Arden Grange kibble and Arden Grange wet food) than feed a low quality food to fill the gap.

We feed two or even three times a day as this seems to be what she's happy with.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Horses for courses.

My dog absolutely refuses to eat any 'wet' dog food. But the boarding kennels where she stays happily for weeks tell me that she eats it mixed with her dry food there?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 07:55 PM
I had heard that they shouldnt be fed dry and tins at the same meal? :S maybe im wrong then lol.

The boys do really well on autarky and butchers tins, I just dont like seeing Gemma refusing to eat

Ill have to re-evaluate I think.. thanks everyone
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 08:22 PM
I've never heard anything about problems feeding wet and dry together either. If I'm not mistaken there are a few here who do it. I used to mix wet and dry together for Rupert trying to get him to eat and never had a problem, it didn't make him eat though.

If I were going to feed just wet then this food certainly wouldn't be top of my list, I'd go for something high quality instead. Any particular reason you don't want her on just the tinned food?
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
I had heard that they shouldnt be fed dry and tins at the same meal? :S maybe im wrong then lol.

The boys do really well on autarky and butchers tins, I just dont like seeing Gemma refusing to eat

Ill have to re-evaluate I think.. thanks everyone
I've just been browsing various bits of the forum and saw this 'issue' (mixing kibble with meat) mentioned and quite a few members said it wasn't an issue at all. I hadn't heard of it so just did what I did...... but Whisper's poos are lovely and firm and regular.

Sorry if that was TMI!

Hope Gemma improves. Whisper was so unsure (had been mistreated in the past) of herself we had to give her tons of reassurance before she'd eat when she first came and I was always worrying about how much she was eating so I sympathise! xx
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I've never heard anything about problems feeding wet and dry together either. If I'm not mistaken there are a few here who do it. I used to mix wet and dry together for Rupert trying to get him to eat and never had a problem, it didn't make him eat though.

If I were going to feed just wet then this food certainly wouldn't be top of my list, I'd go for something high quality instead. Any particular reason you don't want her on just the tinned food?
I've tried her on a mix before but she just sucked the meat off the kibble and spat it out on the kitchen floor lol, so I'm not sure it will help make her eat. The main reason I don't want her eating just tins is because my previous dog was fed solely tins before we adopted her and her teeth were awful condition, so bad that in the end she could hardly eat biscuit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >