View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Question about B.S.L. for people knowledgable about it?

Okay another town where I live just passed some ugly B.S.L. laws regarding pit bulls. I'm concerned it will move here next and I wanted to ask if it would affect my 14 year old dog. If you are not aware, B.S.L. is breed specific legislation which is causing people to have to euthanize and give up their pit bull dogs in some places. And in others pay to register them and dobermans etc. I had a few questions to the people knowledgeable to the laws. Firstly, do you think they would even bother to include my dog? Some people have told me yes, others have told me no. I'll put some pictures below. Secondly, if he was included... might there be a way that his age (14) could get him spared or something. He's never hurt anyone and I just wanted to ask these questions if an issue arose.

coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I would just say he's a Lab cross if I were you, because that's what he looks like to me. If they push it, you could say Lab cross Staffy (the pic of the smile did make me think Staffy). Don't know how many Staffies you have in the USA, though, they may not be common, I have no idea.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by coventrycatfish View Post
I would just say he's a Lab cross if I were you, because that's what he looks like to me. If they push it, you could say Lab cross Staffy (the pic of the smile did make me think Staffy). Don't know how many Staffies you have in the USA, though, they may not be common, I have no idea.
He is a Yellow Labrador mixed with American Pit Bull Terrier with traces of Chow. I say Staffy sometimes already but I'm totally not sure they'd buy it. Thanks a lot though. In my area Staffies are not common at all, but American Pit Bull Terriers are really popular. I'm kinda worried...
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 03:56 PM
A Staffy Cross

Looks more like a lab cross and I see nothing there that even says pitbull.

You say the dog is a lab cross pitbull with a bit of chow then the dog is a mongral end of.

Is in danger of being caught by BSL? That would depend on what your local council says in terms of its legislation. In the UK I doubt there would be an issue with the dog.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Looks like a mutt to me! Only breed I'd hazard a guess at a bit of being Lab.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
A Staffy Cross

Looks more like a lab cross and I see nothing there that even says pitbull.

You say the dog is a lab cross pitbull with a bit of chow then the dog is a mongral end of.

Is in danger of being caught by BSL? That would depend on what your local council says in terms of its legislation. In the UK I doubt there would be an issue with the dog.
He is totally a mutt dog but they go by a few key characteristics. Because people will lie about what their dog is mixed with to avoid having him/her affected, it is up to the people enforcing the laws to say whether the dog qualifies. I don't think that he would be involved but some people here told me that he would. He looks like a Labrador to me also. Someone told me that his ears would disqualify him from their standard. Well hopefully the B.S.L. won't make it here anyways. Thank you for your response.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Have to say your dog just looks Lab to me, not that I'm an expert.
I would forget mentioning Pitt Bull and stick to Lab cross.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 04:09 PM
I would say Lab x Chow, and be done with it. He's not shorthaired, and he really doesn't look Pit Bull to me. He'll be perfectly safe
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Looks like a mutt to me! Only breed I'd hazard a guess at a bit of being Lab.
Thank you! He is a mutt and he doesn't have that much pit bull in him anyways. Most of his characteristics go toward the heavy amount of Yellow Labrador in him. I hope the laws never make it here and that if they do, my 14 year old dog would be excluded. He's 14 so there is no point in putting him down anyways! I think he's safe now, I thought so from the beginning but some people here scared me. Someone told me that because of his nose and the way his jaws look that he'd be included. Someone else told me that because of the way he barked combined with the way his ears were set meant that he'd be included. But someone else told me that his ears were all wrong and that he'd be automatically NOT included because of them. I just wanted to ask a few others. Thanks! He looks like a Labrador mutt dog so that's what I'm going to stick with. If they ask me what he's mixed with, I'll just say chow or fabricate some other breed that might fit. He only has a small amount of pit bull in him... and it doesn't show much to most people so I think I can work around it. Thanks everyone!
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 04:12 PM
He's beautiful whatever he is

Shame about the new BSL there though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >