Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Umbilical hernias?

I have done a bit of reading on them but seen some mixed things so thought I would post:

Would it worry you if you were buying a puppy with one?
I hear they are quite common?
Breeder says it should not cause problems or need further treatment but some reading suggests getting them fixed at spay?
Is there a worry of it enlarging and more coming out?
Is it true they are as a result of the dam pulling on the cord too hard causing the umbilicus not to close?

Advice and experience appreciated as always
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Most hernias don't cause problems and can be fixed easily but can be done when the dog is under an aneasthetic for neutering ect,ideally you shouldn't breed from a dog with a hernia cos it can be an heredrity fault that all the future litter can have,I would buy a pup with one if I wasn't wanting to breed
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Sika had one, you could push it back in when she was a pup, we did this daily in the hope her muscles would hold it in eventually but it didn't work. We had it fixed when she was spayed and now you'd never know
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by dixondog View Post
Most hernias don't cause problems and can be fixed easily but can be done when the dog is under an aneasthetic for neutering ect,ideally you shouldn't breed from a dog with a hernia cos it can be an heredrity fault that all the future litter can have,I would buy a pup with one if I wasn't wanting to breed
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Sika had one, you could push it back in when she was a pup, we did this daily in the hope her muscles would hold it in eventually but it didn't work. We had it fixed when she was spayed and now you'd never know
Thanks both She wouldn't be bred from but obviously want to avoid any future complications!
Sounds like it is quite common to get it sorted when spaying.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:18 PM
There are some breeds where they are extremely common (as in, you'd be hard put to find a pup born without).

Many of them correct themselves as the dog grows, and of course dogs that aren't spayed or neutered don't have them repaired.... or don't need to.

In fact if you did have the hernia repaired surgically, then in theory you wouldn't be able to show it as it would come under corrective surgery.

They are usually very small and disappear naturally when the puppy matures.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
There are some breeds where they are extremely common (as in, you'd be hard put to find a pup born without).

Many of them correct themselves as the dog grows, and of course dogs that aren't spayed or neutered don't have them repaired.... or don't need to.

In fact if you did have the hernia repaired surgically, then in theory you wouldn't be able to show it as it would come under corrective surgery.

They are usually very small and disappear naturally when the puppy matures.
Thanks, its a GSD
They are not planning on showing as far as I know, just want what is best for the dog.

So in general it would in no way worry you, or prevent you from going ahead with the puppy providing the pup was not for breeding or maybe showing?
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:33 PM
my dane had one when he was a pup but my breeder had it repaired before i bought him home. never had any problems with it since
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Originally Posted by Duck View Post
my dane had one when he was a pup but my breeder had it repaired before i bought him home. never had any problems with it since
Thanks for the reply, glad you haven't had any further problems.. How was it repaired? Pushed back in or operated on?
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:36 PM
was operated on.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2011, 11:55 PM
That's interesting she did the op before you took the pup. I guess that's unusual? Glad there have been no further problems though
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >