Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HWestie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 12:49 PM

Dogs trust - the outcome- disgusted

We phoned the dogs trust today to see what the situation was with the little dog we were interested in. We were told that she is going to her new home. Apparently the people that phoned when we were looking at dogs, reserved her over the phone. We told them that according to their website, they DON'T reserve dogs online or over the phone. They said - "oh the website is wrong". Hard to believe. Then she said "we don't work by the website. we work independantly".

So, let me get this right. The dogs trust are a national dog rescue organisation. Their rules on the website are for dogs trust centres. It does not say that some centres do not adhere to these rules.

If they knew she had been reserved, they should never have let us take her for a walk or state an interest in her whatsoever. They should never have let us think we were in with a chance of homing her.

We are now going to write an official letter of complaint to their head office.

I am never ever going to go to this branch of the dogs trust ever again. I am appalled with the way they run things.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 12:52 PM
That sounds awful, after the grief i have heard some rescues give people how can they possibly let someone reserve an unseen dog over the phone? Surely you only know if the dog is right when you see it, and if both homes are suitable then shouldnt it go to the first to see it?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Reserving a dog doesn't actually mean you get it though. To reserve a dog purely means you are interested, you still have to meet the dog (with your own) and pass a homecheck.
It sounds to me like these people had already seen her and had gone home to muse...and then phoned to say they did want to reserve her at the point that you were already at the kennel going to walk her. They need to make sure they have reserve reserves as well, so many potential homes fall through.

Instead of complaining, I would be going back up there to see if there were anymore dogs in need that you could rehome, that is after all, what a rescue centre is about. DT also have a high turn over of dogs, especially dogs with little or few issues of popular breeds. You need to get up there a couple of times a week and get to know the staff, so they know what will suit you. Perhaps this is what the other people did?

DT is one of the best rescues out there. Everyone can make a mistake...but they do amazing work and their priority at all times is finding the best home for the dogs in their care. Sometimes, sadly ,if there are a few potential best homes, it means that people are disappointed.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 12:59 PM
A dog has found a home. There'll be plenty more. Wouldn't expect people to be constantly checking reservation status every time someone want to take a dog out. What it it all falls through anyway - surely the more the merrier? and besides, the dog got a walk.

Understand it's disappointing but jeez...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
A dog has found a home. There'll be plenty more. Wouldn't expect people to be constantly checking reservation status every time someone want to take a dog out. What it it all falls through anyway - surely the more the merrier? and besides, the dog got a walk.

Understand it's disappointing but jeez...
I agree. There is no computer system between kennels and reception that immediately flags up that a dog is reserved..andn yes, at the end of the day, this dog got a home. Your dog will be waiting for you.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Reserving a dog doesn't actually mean you get it though. To reserve a dog purely means you are interested, you still have to meet the dog (with your own) and pass a homecheck.
It sounds to me like these people had already seen her and had gone home to muse...and then phoned to say they did want to reserve her at the point that you were already at the kennel going to walk her. They need to make sure they have reserve reserves as well, so many potential homes fall through.

Instead of complaining, I would be going back up there to see if there were anymore dogs in need that you could rehome, that is after all, what a rescue centre is about. DT also have a high turn over of dogs, especially dogs with little or few issues of popular breeds. You need to get up there a couple of times a week and get to know the staff, so they know what will suit you. Perhaps this is what the other people did?

DT is one of the best rescues out there. Everyone can make a mistake...but they do amazing work and their priority at all times is finding the best home for the dogs in their care. Sometimes, sadly ,if there are a few potential best homes, it means that people are disappointed.
Great post Ramble, this is what I more or less said in the OP's first post about the DT.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Fair enough that a dog got a home but all the Dogs Trust needed to do was state that dogs can be reserved - then everyone goes into the situation being aware that a dog they're interested in may end up reserved before they adopt it. If the website states that dogs cannot be reserved then it's understandable that OP is upset that the dog ended up reserved. When I went through the adoption application with Casper, I was made fully aware that the rescue didn't reserve dogs and that someone else was interested, and that whoever had a passed homecheck/was in the position to take him (as long as they suited him) first would be the one to get him.

I wouldn't begrudge a rescue dog a home but that doesn't mean I can't disagree with the way a rescue works and decide to take my support elsewhere, just like OP is entitled to.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 01:28 PM
From the Website:

8. Can I reserve a dog online? How?

Dogs cannot be reserved online, as one of the key parts of rehoming process is meeting you and discussing your rehoming questionnaire. To start the rehoming process, please fill in a rehoming questionnaire online and then visit a centre to find out more about the dogs available. If this involves a lengthy trip or you are interested in a particular dog, you are welcome to call ahead to enquire further about them.

12. Can I reserve a dog online or over the phone? How long can I reserve a dog for?

It is not possible for us to reserve a dog without meeting you. Once you have visited a centre and the staff have agreed to a match, they will reserve the dog (sometimes known as 'booking') until rehoming is complete.

It is also generally not possible to reserve a dog for an extended period of time, such as until you return from holiday or move house. This could prevent the dog from finding another suitable home, thus also restricting us from taking in another dog needing our help.
"

Just - from OPs POV - unfortunate timing.
HWestie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-10-2011, 02:15 PM
I really don't know if these other people had already seen the dog. It would have been nice before we viewed them, if they had told us they already had some interest. they only had 3 small dogs there. a patterdale who was reserved, a westie who couldn't be homed with another dog and this one we were interested in. so they knew there was only this one dog that could have been potentially ours.

I am pleased that the little thing has got a home to. I just don't like the way it happened. It hasn't put me off going to other rescues. I fully support rescue dogs. i've had 2 rescues before. It's just if a website says they do things one way and then they do it another way, you just don't know how it all works. Thanks for all your comments.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2011, 02:18 PM
But if you look at the post above yours....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >