Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Stopped "going" in garden

Due to a health issue I won't be able to walk Oz on a morning for the next couple of weeks. I let hm out in the garden but he's stopped peeing or pooing in the garden and when I think about it this has been going on for a few weeks. It wasn't a problem cos he would always go when I walked him. My husband is still taking him out on an evening for a good run but he's noticed that he's pooing maybe three/ four times on this walk and it gets runnier and runnier. I don't know why he stopped going in the garden, never been a problem before but I'm worried it could cause damage to his health. In every other way he seems fine. He's eating and drinking the same and seems happy and relaxed. I don't have anyone who can take him out for me during the day. anyone have any advice please?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Difficult. Could you try your front garden? Or invite another dog round? (Male dog that is, because there will then be widdling contests).
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:21 AM
No to front garden I'm afraid, It's open to the road. Also I don't know anyone else living near enough to bring a dog round, maybe at the weekend but I want him to go now! Just don't understand what's happened to make him stop.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Just a thought....

I know it's important for you that he does his business in the garden, but I'm just wondering if you're putting too much pressure on him to do it? Ie. maybe standing by him out in the garden or even talking to him a lot while he's out there.

If you are (and I know if you do you mean well as you're trying to encourge him to do it), then maybe you could try backing off him a bit and leaving him to his own devices while outside and see if he does anything and watch him from the door or window or something. When does 'go' (if indeed he does), then give him lots of praise afterwards?

Has he gotten in to bother for something he has done out there in recent months? If so, perhaps he associates that space with whatever it is he has done.

As I said, just a thought, you may have already tried this.
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Usually I would open the door and say "go quick" he knows what this means and would just go and do his duties! But maybe lately I have been telling him more just cos he's not going. He hasn't been in any trouble for doing anything else in the garden he's actually really good in the home and even stays to one toilet area in the garden, always has done cos that's where we trained him to go. I just don't know if he's damaging his health by holding it all day? Will not "go on" at him and see if this helps.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Can your other half bag up one of his deposits from the walk and put it in the garden? the familar smell might encourage him to go (lovely! ).
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Can your other half bag up one of his deposits from the walk and put it in the garden? the familar smell might encourage him to go (lovely! ).
Just what Iwas about to suggest. Great minds think alike.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Bandi View Post
Usually I would open the door and say "go quick" he knows what this means and would just go and do his duties! But maybe lately I have been telling him more just cos he's not going. He hasn't been in any trouble for doing anything else in the garden he's actually really good in the home and even stays to one toilet area in the garden, always has done cos that's where we trained him to go. I just don't know if he's damaging his health by holding it all day? Will not "go on" at him and see if this helps.
Yes, maybe try less pressure on him and he may well just do his business.

He must have a good constitution!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Just wondering what's happening with this now?
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2011, 09:30 PM
can he be taken for a short walk to the closest grass thats not garden?

Maybe there is something 'wrong' with his toilet area? Is it grass/gravel/soil?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >