View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Passive Smoking, Our Dogs (and Other Pets)

I have often wondered about this. I have read a campaign is being launch to make people aware, or perhaps more aware, of the impact it can have on our Furry Family Members.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I think people need to be more aware. This was discussed in a canine first aid course that I went on a while back and the VN stated that it was a problem for our pets as they have such small lungs
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:34 PM
I dont smoke but my mum does and the family dog often linger around them....Ive told mum its bad but she doesnt listen
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:49 PM
My mums dog when she was growing up died from lung cancer which they believe was from passive smoking She said it was awful to hear Trixie hack and cough Thankfully no one in our house smokes any more.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 08:52 PM
It is something i think about too... no one in my close family smoke though, but my uncle does and his house used to be all smokey all the time (not been in years though) and he had a dog, even as a child i used to think that it surely wasn't good for the dog to be around that...

I was at the shops once, and a woman had a wee tiny puppy in her jacket, and was smoking... the smoke was blowing right in the poor pups face
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I gave up smoking in 1989 and my dogs are never exposed to cigarette smoke.

I know some breeders will not sell to smokers.
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2011, 11:19 PM
What if I smoke a single cigarette a day in the morning for my uh, bathroom routine? D: Yes, I know, fiber works just as good, but its a ritual I have come to enjoy (people have their morning coffee, I have my morning cigarette.)

I don't smoke the rest of the day unless I am drinking - and since I am a social drinker this tends to only happen outside of pubs/clubs; which, usually, do not have many dogs around.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Cadi View Post
What if I smoke a single cigarette a day in the morning for my uh, bathroom routine? D: Yes, I know, fiber works just as good, but its a ritual I have come to enjoy (people have their morning coffee, I have my morning cigarette.)

I don't smoke the rest of the day unless I am drinking - and since I am a social drinker this tends to only happen outside of pubs/clubs; which, usually, do not have many dogs around.
Theoretically a single cigarette a day poses less of a risk to your dog than if you smoked 10 a day, but it poses more of a risk to your dog than if you didn't smoke at all. That said, some people (and presumably dogs) seem to cope better with the effects of smoking. My Grandad was of the generation where he started smoking as a young boy, he was well into his 80's when he died and he did not die due to a smoking related illness. On the other hand, I know of people who have only smoked for a few years and developed lung cancer.

I think just try and be aware where you dog is in relation to you where you are smoking (not sure whether I should be enquiring as to where you are smoking in regards to your 'bathroom routine' ). I guess on a nice day try to smoke outside rather than inside with the dog sat next to you.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I meet a lady who has 2 lovely little Bichon Frise dogs. She rehomed them and one of them has asthma because she was living with a heavy smoker

I didn't know dogs could get asthma.

I have asthma and am allergic to cigarette smoke so steer well clear of smokers! When I used to work in an office about 25 years ago I had to work in a small office with 2 chain smokers and I would go home feeling very ill. They changed the room to no smoking and then no-one spoke to me! Can't imagine this scenario now with smokers feeling the persecuted race and not allowed to smoke in pubs etc.
Cadi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Even as a smoker (technically) I firmly agree with no smoking indoors unless it is on your own or private property. Its just not pretty, its tacky and it stinks up the place like no one's business. Smoking outdoors is just generally better, I don't want to inhale the smoke I just exhaled!

During my undergrad years I used to take a lot of trips to uh the 'Netherlands' shall we say, and I owned a massive tuxedo male cat at the time. Every time I used the pipe the cat stuck to me like I was covered in catnip and fur. Sometimes I forgot and left the pipe on the couch next to me, that's when he would huddle in close then place his nose directly in there and sleep! Every time I saw him do that I used to freak out and snatch the pipe away until eventually I learned that hey, he is an adult cat, he can make his own choices (and its not like its consistently lit.) It just made me wonder about animals and smoke too since he really enjoyed visiting Netherlands with me. Was it the smoke or was it the beautiful Dutch architecture that fascinated him? Hmmm...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >