Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Impressed in human nature this morning

As mentioned before - had to go out for a spot of work this morning. Heading back at lunchtime I was coming out of Derby, onto the roundabout at the top end of Chad (my habits of ratrunning through the place I lived for over 4 years don't die easily) on the A52 - so a serious pain in the backside junction at the best of times with people driving too flipping fast.

See cars stopped all over the place, and assume it's just a traffic jam, then get closer and spot a very small spaniel puppy streaking across the traffic onto the grassy centre of the roundabout, followed by a very distraught woman.

I'm stuck there mentally preparing for a pretty unpleasant sight - too far back to do anything and in the far lane away from all of this going on, and I was really really heartened to see about 7 or 8 cars all simultaneously pull onto the roundabout itself and all jump out to try to catch this poor dog... would have expected anything but with the way people tend to lose the plot on that junction to be honest.

Hope to god the dog was ok - as I got past (cos was stuck in the other lane of traffic away from it all, with railings so I couldn't even pull over) they were still trying to catch it. No idea how it's got out and onto there though - unless someone's tailgate's sprung open or similar or it's bolted from a front door.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
As mentioned before - had to go out for a spot of work this morning. Heading back at lunchtime I was coming out of Derby, onto the roundabout at the top end of Chad (my habits of ratrunning through the place I lived for over 4 years don't die easily) on the A52 - so a serious pain in the backside junction at the best of times with people driving too flipping fast.

See cars stopped all over the place, and assume it's just a traffic jam, then get closer and spot a very small spaniel puppy streaking across the traffic onto the grassy centre of the roundabout, followed by a very distraught woman.

I'm stuck there mentally preparing for a pretty unpleasant sight - too far back to do anything and in the far lane away from all of this going on, and I was really really heartened to see about 7 or 8 cars all simultaneously pull onto the roundabout itself and all jump out to try to catch this poor dog... would have expected anything but with the way people tend to lose the plot on that junction to be honest.

Hope to god the dog was ok - as I got past (cos was stuck in the other lane of traffic away from it all, with railings so I couldn't even pull over) they were still trying to catch it. No idea how it's got out and onto there though - unless someone's tailgate's sprung open or similar or it's bolted from a front door.
What a nightmare for the poor pup and owner and yes it is very heartening when people stop to help. Several years ago my Cairn Terrier got loose and was pelting hell for leather along the pavement next to the busy A426 (Rugby Road). I was running after him yelling as you do in your panic, looked behind me and a Kipling lorry was coming along in the same direction as Sam. Luckily a woman in a car just stopped - opened her door and cut off his progress on the pavement. The Kipling lorry stuck his flashers on and all the traffic came to a standstill! I arrived panting and heaving to collect the little buggar - just didn't know how to thank everyone really. It restores your faith in human nature............ hope the little spaniel was recovered safe and sound.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 02:42 PM
How nice that so many people tried to help. Many years ago, heading towards bonfire night Dave and I spotted a greyhound running down a main road in the dark, I think it had panicked at the fireworks and bolted. By the time we had turned around there were a few cars following the dog. Everyone slowed right down, given that it was a Friday night I half expected people to be burning past on the way to the pub. The cars following the dog were flashing the cars coming the opposite way to warn them, a couple of cars got close to the dog but they couldn't catch it. Fortunately it turned off the main road but it then bolted across the field away from everyone. A few moments later we entered a village and there was another dog that had escaped. I jumped out and almost had his collar when another almighty firework went off and he started running, I managed to leap to the side of him to send him back into village rather than onto the main road and he was gone too. It was a horrible night, despite so many people trying to help, I have no idea what happened to either of these dogs. Both disappeared into the night and we lost them

I wasn't in the car when this happened but my mum and one of my sister's were. They were driving along a country road and came up behind a couple of parked cars. A duck was crossing the road with several little ducklings. My mum, the cars in front of my mum and another car coming the opposite way all sat patiently waiting for them to cross. A van driver came along, shot past the waiting cars and just ploughed through them and drove off. It happened so quickly that no-one got his registration number, I don't think anyone there believed that someone would have been quite so cruel.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Hope to god the dog was ok - as I got past they were still trying to catch it. No idea how it's got out and onto there though
With that number of people trying to catch him let's hope they succeded. I don't have much faith in humans but I do so agree that it's heartening when people do try to put animals first.

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
A duck was crossing the road with several little ducklings. My mum, the cars in front of my mum and another car coming the opposite way all sat patiently waiting for them to cross. A van driver came along, shot past the waiting cars and just ploughed through them and drove off. It happened so quickly that no-one got his registration number, I don't think anyone there believed that someone would have been quite so cruel.
I would believe it Jane, white van man is one of my pet hates
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 10:33 PM
I was on my way to work last week, and my OH was walking me up. We saw a guy OH knows from the gym, and his BC had jumped out the window of his moving car Everyone in the shops were rushing out to help, but the dog, who looked young, and was playing silly b*****! He would go just within reach of his owner, and then jump out of reach! He finally caught him though.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Things like that restore my faith in human nature.....