View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:05 AM

Do you use your dog for it's original purpose?

'Use' is probably the wrong word, but do you 'use' your dog for the purpose it was originally bred for?

I have:

Border Collie - I wouldn't let her anywhere near sheep, she would eat them!

Dalmatian - I try to get him as involved with the horses as I can, currently attempting to train him to ride out with them, I don't currently have a carriage but when I do I will train him to follow that as well.

Springer Spaniel - I would love to do some gun dog work with him but he seems to be gun shy and once you get him out in the open it's very hard to get his attention again.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Nope. Our Rottie has never once herded cattle or pulled a butchers cart, and she never will!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-06-2011, 10:18 AM
No - German Shepherds.

I sometimes wonder whether or not the modern GSD predominantly available in the UK would be fit for purpose.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Well I've never deliberately used my GSDsfor herding but tZane has been known to herd a group of children into one place when Oscar and his friends all ran off int eh park. I couldn't watch oall of them at the same time as tehy ran in different directions so I sent Zane after them.

They thought it was great fun. Oscar was the last to be herded and because Zane couldn't get him to go where he wanted he ended up grabbing his sleeve and pulling him tot he group of kids. Really funny to watch.

But nope - the others have never been worked although they are involved in activities generally not specific to their breed so they don't get bored.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Nope - well, Dudley's a cross, so has no purpose in life XD apart from making us smile <3

Portia's a Japanese Shiba Inu - and I must say I've never gone hunting birds with her, and I don't think I ever will! ;D

xx
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Ozzie has chased deer through the wood , that's as close as he will ever get to hunting ...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:48 AM
No, mine have been used for the purpose they were bred (greyhounds) but are now retired and always will be enjoying the easy life
Hazels
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:53 AM
I am attempting gundog training with Ember. Her mum goes out working on shoots and her breeder gundog trains all her tollers (and rotties!).
Tollers will naturally toll ducks, it really does work!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Hazels View Post
I am attempting gundog training with Ember. Her mum goes out working on shoots and her breeder gundog trains all her tollers (and rotties!).
Tollers will naturally toll ducks, it really does work!
Explain toll for the uneducated of us please ??
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:13 AM
Well my boy, English Setter, was bred and purchased for me to have a loving pet and to show occasionally. He has excelled in both of those so my answer would be yes

However, if you mean is he a working gundog then no, he does stalk birds and chase them, but if he caught one I think he would be a) baffled as to how that bird got in his mouth and b) saying chase me if you want it mummy, you'll never catch me
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »