View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Would you allow your dog to swim in a canal without a flotation device?

Buttons has been in the canal today for the first time and in the thread I posted an interesting point has come to light.

Would you use a flotation device for your dog as part of a normal daily walk next to water where your dog may choose to go for a swim?

I am not talking about the use of one whilst on boats/lakes etc.

The stretch of canal where we walk is in a rural setting and has easy access in terms of dogs getting in and out.

Does anyone already do this or do you let your dog swim without one.If you do have one which one do you have?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Only time ours wear these is on a boat (only the small motorboat not big charter boats), I wouldn't walk them with one on if next to a canal, no. I would just trust my recall with Zeke, infact he's scared of water anyway! and Keisha is always on a lead.

I think i'd let my dogs swim without one, but perhaps not in a canal, they're too fat to climb out! (even probably ones with easy access in and out like you say)

We got ours from here, they have a huge selection http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/boating-watersports.html
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Would you use a flotation device for your dog as part of a normal daily walk next to water where your dog may choose to go for a swim?

No because:

my dogs only swim when they are told they can
my dogs are excellent swimmers,
They onlyh swim in safe water eg the lakes where I know there is no rubbish etc, the sea, the hydro pool
They can access and egress such water from the beach or ramp
I know that because the lake/sea is not that deep it does not get that cold.
the hydro pool is warm
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

No because:

my dogs only swim when they are told they can
my dogs are excellent swimmers,
They onlyh swim in safe water eg the lakes where I know there is no rubbish etc, the sea, the hydro pool
They can access and egress such water from the beach or ramp
I know that because the lake/sea is not that deep it does not get that cold.
the hydro pool is warm
I take all these points on board.....but how did your dogs get to be good swimmers.Did you use flotation devices when they were still young/learning?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I take all these points on board.....but how did your dogs get to be good swimmers.Did you use flotation devices when they were still young/learning?
No, they went in shallow water and one learned to swim in a hydrotherapy pool.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2011, 07:41 PM
I guess it would all depend on the dog?
Our old dog was an incredibly good swimmer, and thoroughly enjoyed swimming even in fast flowing water.
So, no, I wouldn't personally use a flotation device as if I felt my dog was a weak swimmer, I'd keep them away from the water or on a lead if there was a chance of an unexpected plunge!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I never did with Shadow but then most of his swimming was done in rivers where he could easily get in and out and where I could wade out to him if absolutely necessary. We didn't walk along a canal at all and he was on leash around the pond on the way to the river because of nesting birds (according to the sign anyway). Had we been able to go down to the river after his legs began to give out I would have used something though.

Rupert once went in the canal but it wasn't really me letting him. He saw the water and took off dragging me down about 20 steps and launched himself off the side into it and swam around for a bit. I just let the leash go as although I love swimming I'm terrible at it. I made sure never to walk that way again, it was rather painful although he loved it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 08:15 PM
ermm no tbh never thought of it
if they were somewhere it looks difficult to get out of I dont let them go in otherwise they are better swimmers than me and I see no point for putting gadgets on them
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
I found out that Cain was a good swimmer by accident. He went paddling in the river and it was deeper than usual and suddenly he was swimming He was on his flexilead so if he'd got in amy trouble then I could have reeled him in. I've taken him to a hydrotheraphy pool for fun and they made him wear a floatation jacket on thr first session as they do with all dogs, but said he was a natural and he didn't need to wear it next time. As he's a really strong swimmer I probably wouldn't bother if he was going in a river, lake, shallow sea where he could get out or I could get to him if he had trouble (although hes such a good swimmer I doubt this). If we were far from land for swimming eg a boat I would use one. Why don't you try Buttons on a harness and longline or something until your confident in his swimming abilities?
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Haha never thought of this. After poor Cookie has fallen in a few times, yes fallen, never tried to get in, I have just avoided walking near the canals, or if we do he is on his lead and harness just in case. He is such a clumsy dog, and the poor thing just sinks like a brick! Might be an idea to invest in one of these and teach him to swim, but not too sure if there are any safe local rivers...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >