Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nic-Brandy
New Member!
Female 

12-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Pet Passporting

I was wondering if anyone knows anything or has experience of getting their pet passported?

I am getting married next year and was thinking of passporting my dogs so they can come with us on a 2 week holiday to the south of france, maybe italy.

I am distraught everytime I leave them, and my older dog Brandy who is 8 goes on a hunger strike, she comes around eventually but it upsets me, and I think they'd enjoy our honeymoon as it'll be a big villa to ourselves with lots of pootling around.

Brandy is 8, Twig is 2, they are both terrier x's they are used to travelling and we'd do it in the euro tunnel.

I would never ever ever do it for my self alone, and if I thought they'd be stressed by it I wouldn't do it, but I know they'd be fine with travelling, as they come away with us all over the UK every year, and travel everyday in the car. I also think they'd enjoy it rather than someone looking after them in my house, who althought I 100% trust works long hours.

Has anyone any experience of this? Anyone gone through the process of pet passporting? Any risks with the injections they have to have? Anyone taken their pets abroad and give me any tips? I need to get moving on it as I need to allow a year, but if there's anything that I am unaware of that could harm them then I won't be doing it.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Pet passports are expensive and take lots of time to come through etc.

There are things like quarentine and extra jabs and boosters.

The best person to talk to this about is your vet - they will have some if not loads of information for you to look at.

basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-05-2011, 10:33 AM
All mine have passports.
First of all they have to be microchipped then they are given the rabies jab. About 3 or 4 weeks after that they have blood taken to test the levels. If that comes back at a high enough level it is 6 months from then that they are able to enter back into the uk without going into quarantine. It all has to be done in a certain otherwise you have to start all over again.
Before coming back into the uk they have to go to a vet and have tick and tapeworm treatment but this must be done no less than 24 hours and no later than 48 hours before coming back to the uk.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm currently in the process of getting one and I can tell you now that if it wasn't for the fact we're off to Germany for 3 years I'd have given up and gone with kennels. Other people have had no problems but out here in Ireland things seem to work a bit differently and nobody I spoke to thought to tell me that I had to phone up somewhere to get paperwork sent to my vets until I asked why the hell it was taking so long (And for those saying this isn't how it works I've phoned 5 or 6 different vet practices and all of them have said this is what I have to do so it's not just my vet) As for cost, £165 Ruperts has cost.

Along with the requirements Basi put, we've been told that we have to take Rupe in for a vet check to confirm he's fit for travel 24 hours before we leave for Germany.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 01:03 PM
My dogs were passported with no trouble. Have a look on the DEFRA site and it tell you how to go about it. http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/pets/travel/pets/
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Nic-Brandy View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows anything or has experience of getting their pet passported?

I am getting married next year and was thinking of passporting my dogs so they can come with us on a 2 week holiday to the south of france, maybe italy.

I am distraught everytime I leave them, and my older dog Brandy who is 8 goes on a hunger strike, she comes around eventually but it upsets me, and I think they'd enjoy our honeymoon as it'll be a big villa to ourselves with lots of pootling around.

Brandy is 8, Twig is 2, they are both terrier x's they are used to travelling and we'd do it in the euro tunnel.

I would never ever ever do it for my self alone, and if I thought they'd be stressed by it I wouldn't do it, but I know they'd be fine with travelling, as they come away with us all over the UK every year, and travel everyday in the car. I also think they'd enjoy it rather than someone looking after them in my house, who althought I 100% trust works long hours.

Has anyone any experience of this? Anyone gone through the process of pet passporting? Any risks with the injections they have to have? Anyone taken their pets abroad and give me any tips? I need to get moving on it as I need to allow a year, but if there's anything that I am unaware of that could harm them then I won't be doing it.

One of my dogs is pet passported, it is a really simple procedure. Ask if your vet is registered to do this. You must do this in plenty of time so that your dog may travel.

You must have your dog chipped, the dog is then given a rabies injection, titre tested and, can leave the country any time, HOWEVER, if you want to bring it back in there is a time issue.

No boosters or quarantine is required and the only extra, apart from the jab, is the treatment necessary prior to returning to the UK.

The DEFRA site has all the information you need.
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Hi. I had my springer passported a few years ago and it was relatively simple and not that expensive. You have to remember to get the rabies vacc done virtually three years to the day of the initial jabs though. Apparently a day or more late and you have to start from scratch so I'm keeping an eye on my calendar to make sure I get it done again in time. Also you can go abroad as soon as you've got the passport, but you can't bring the dog straight back within the first six months or it will have to go into quarantine kennels. After six months you can bring it backwards and forwards quite easily.

Another thing that we missed the first time coming back through Eurotunnel is that you have to go to a special lane to get the dog checked before checking in. We didn't realise and queued up for ages at check in only to be told to go back to the start and have the dog checked in at this special area, and then re-queue to get through to the trains. Anyway, good luck with it all.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Pet passports are expensive and take lots of time to come through etc.

There are things like quarentine and extra jabs and boosters.

The best person to talk to this about is your vet - they will have some if not loads of information for you to look at.

All that is needed is
1. Dog to be chipped
2. Given rabies vaccine
3. A titre test done to show that the vaccine has worked
4.Your vet issues a Pet Passport
4.6 months after the positive test your pet passport is valid for return to the UK

Not overly expensive the vaccine, chp & test cost depends on what your vet charges you-shoudn't be more than £150 & after that it's just the boosters to keep the passport valid

On the otherhand 6 months quarentine costs at least £1000 if not a lot more
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Millysmum View Post
Hi. I had my springer passported a few years ago and it was relatively simple and not that expensive. You have to remember to get the rabies vacc done virtually three years to the day of the initial jabs though. Apparently a day or more late and you have to start from scratch so I'm keeping an eye on my calendar to make sure I get it done again in time. .................................................. ...............................
The timing of the booster vax depends on the vaccine used-some are 2 years & some are 3
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The timing of the booster vax depends on the vaccine used-some are 2 years & some are 3
Exactly and I would never leave the jabs that late, so for example my dog's rabies shot runs out in July, I had him boosted in April.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >