Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-05-2011, 03:08 PM

What Muzzle and How do I Introduce it

Just what it says really. I'm going to have to muzzle Freckles in public after 1 too many incidents of DA (only ever directed towards females though ) Today she caught an owner's jeans whilst trying to have a go at their dog and needless to say I cannot risk her taking a proper bite of dogs or owners. I have tried so hard to deal with this, had hoped being spayed might have some effect but obviously not. I am so upset at myself and at her (even though I know I shouldnt be) and feel like I'm failing by having to do this

So which muzzle is best, I need her to still be able to take treats since we're still trying to crack the loose lead thing and I don't know how I go about introducing it either, she hated the head collars so much that she's going to go ballistic .

Sorry this is a bit rambling, all advice gratefully received.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 03:54 PM
You probably want to look into the Baskerville range of muzzles. You can get the beige plastic basket variety which are easy to put on and off but a bit tricky to give treats through. They have a new Baskerville Extreme muzzle which is designed so you can feed treats through it. Only downside is it's a bit tricky to get on and off (buckle rather than clip, but if you'll use it through the whole walk that won't be a problem), and long noses dogs noses seem to tough the end. Or you could look at a greyhound muzzle.

To introduce go slowly. Drop treats in the muzzle and let the dog put it's nose in to eat. Repeat a lot. Then do it up just for a second, undo, reward, repeat. Build on the time until she's happy to wear it for longer. The Baskerville Extreme is good as you can continue to reward while she's wearing it during the muzzle training. Mine wears his muzzle without fuss but still tries to rub it off on my leg occassionally!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Here's a thread about muzzles that might be useful to you

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=141579

ETA: Dont be upset, you're not failing by using a muzzle. You are being a responsible dog owner whike you work on Freckle's problems
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 04:47 PM
I clicker trained Rupert (and several of his doggie friends) to voluntarily put their nose into the muzzle. Started off by clicking for looking at it, then touching it, then putting their nose in it, then keeping their nose in for a few seconds, then I'd fasten the muzzle, reward while the muzzle was on (a bit tricky with the regular baskerille but can be done) and just built up to it being worn for long periods.

Rupe doesn't really bother about his muzzle. I wouldn't say it's his favourite thing in the world but the fact it means walks, treats and off leash running means he sees it as a positive rather than a negative. I got some of his friends at class wearing it for a few minutes in the same way to prove to their owners that although a muzzle doesn't look nice the dog doesn't have to hate it and it's not cruel.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Tilly wears a baskerville type one to the vets & groomers & so as not to associate it with "bad" things I often put treats in it, or just put it on at home for 5 minutes for no reason & then give her treats & a play when I take it off.
She does try to rub it off on my legs too for the first minutes, but then is fine.
You can get fabric muzzles, but they can still bite with them on.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 05:13 PM
The fabric muzzles that hold the mouth shut are not suitable for exercise as they don't allow the dog to pant. And yeah, they can still give a nasty nip with their front teeth while wearing them. With a basket type you want it big enough that they can open their mouth properly, not so tight it holds their mouth shut like the pets at home staff wanted me to get