Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 01:41 PM

Random Herefords.

I should probally stop taking these guys photos, but I took most of these a while ago when I showed the cutie ones.

Have to say I do love how inquisitive they all are, they always seem to question the dogs, two poor calves were watching Diesel have a wee, and then when he was spreading grass were being hit by the grass, and didn't seem to know whether to run from being hit, or stand and watch the strange being, so did a bit of both at the same time the mothers like to sniff them, although I'm not sure what would happen if I was in there, as they are friendly, and I've been followed by inquisitive cows before just happy to amble along behind, but I don't wanna risk it, and they also love the camera, they seem to want to know all about it, as you might see. I also think its great that this is the smallest field that they are ever in, if they have access to the field that is the only one thats smaller the gate is always left open to allow them into that and this field.

SDC11137 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10739 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10731 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10730 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10723 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10720 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10714 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10713 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10706 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10711 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr

SDC10710 by Charlie Jade., on Flickr
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 06:26 PM
They are absolutely lovely - and I am a cow fan I can't wait until we have our own house cow (probably a Jersey).

I would say though that the cows are probably fine and just inquisitive because there is a fence between you. Definitely, under no circumstances, try to walk through them with your dogs ... they are very protective mothers, and it really isn't worth the risk.

Yet another person was trampled to death by cattle recently and he was the farmer
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 06:34 PM

Please dont stop taking pictures of these guys, they have just made my evening. Sooo cute.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I just love Herefords.........well, they have to be my favourite breed coming from their home county!!!

I would trust this lot far more than any other breed of cattle to be honest, although caution should always be exercised of course when calves are involved.

I looked after a Hereford Bull for a short while once, whilst the owner was on holiday......I was a bit nervous initially, but he was as good as gold.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
They are absolutely lovely - and I am a cow fan I can't wait until we have our own house cow (probably a Jersey).

I would say though that the cows are probably fine and just inquisitive because there is a fence between you. Definitely, under no circumstances, try to walk through them with your dogs ... they are very protective mothers, and it really isn't worth the risk.

Yet another person was trampled to death by cattle recently and he was the farmer
I wouldn't dare go in with the mothers, it took me ages to go in with the young bulls from last year, and then I didn't stop until they went lol, I even had a vid on my phone of me walking with the phone facing the other way and everytime I walked the bulls followed but when I stopped they stopped too until Angus decided to come and say hello, although Boxer hated dogs so stopped there bless him. Although I have seen others in there with dogs, I must admit I always have my heart in my mouth and hope that each time it will be ok.

If you get a Jersey photos please, I love Jersey cows

Originally Posted by grommit View Post

Please dont stop taking pictures of these guys, they have just made my evening. Sooo cute.
Ok, I'll take some more, for you

Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I just love Herefords.........well, they have to be my favourite breed coming from their home county!!!

I would trust this lot far more than any other breed of cattle to be honest, although caution should always be exercised of course when calves are involved.

I looked after a Hereford Bull for a short while once, whilst the owner was on holiday......I was a bit nervous initially, but he was as good as gold.
Must admit I was terrified of cows before meeting the herefords that live here, and wouldn't go anywhere near, but after meeting these I've got so confident that I've moved a bull out of a kissing gate by just putting my hand near his hand and moving it towards the exit so I can get through I would never of done that before.