Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Any Tips for prospective new chicken owner

Hello we have decided we would like to keep chickens.
I have always wanted to I love them but my garden was not suitable when I lived in bham but now I have a good size garden that is sectioned off veg patch at the top borders ect in the middle and patio near the house. We have two dogs a basset x cocker spaniel and a cocker spaniel and we also have one small cat.

The Idea is to have the chickens at the top fenced away from the dogs and cat as the cat goes after birds and one of the dogs chases them too she has never caught one so i don't know if she would hurt the chickens I wouldn't want to take the risk, they will be free to roam the top end of the garden its around 20ft by 16 ft.

Is that enough space for around 4 chickens to be happy?

Any tips and ideas to help me would be gratefully received.

Im quite excited about preparing for the new arrivals and hope to have some within the next few weeks.

thanks in advance for any help. xx
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2011, 11:11 AM
thats plenty of space for 4 hens ive had to fence my lot off so we can all go out in the sun trust 3 of the dogs but not the terrier shes already tried to kill one
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
thats plenty of space for 4 hens ive had to fence my lot off so we can all go out in the sun trust 3 of the dogs but not the terrier shes already tried to kill one
Thanks for that was unsure if there was enough room happy now I just want to give them the best life I can and hate the thought of them not having room to be themselves.

My dog that chases is to look at all basset but her father was a cocker spaniel so she looks basset but is quicker than they usually are would a hen put her in check do you think? she is a softy generally just if something moves fast she runs after it.

If they are ok the chickens could have 3-4 times the amount of space to wander.( large garden)
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 03:27 PM
You could possibly see what she is like when on a lead. I would say though that if she does chase other things, chickens might be on her list. Something to think about once you've got your set up as you could always make it bigger, or you could always just let the chickens out when your dog is in the house.

My cat kills the odd bird but has never taken any notice of the chickens, in fact a chicken had a go at her and she hasn't really bothered since. I do watch when we have chicks or ducklings on their own though.

Have you decided on what breed?

Very exciting

Helen
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Helen[/QUOTE]Have you decided on what breed?

Very exciting

Helen[/QUOTE]

No I'm not sure what to get I'm thinking of either rescue ex bats or maybe some big brown chickens possibly Rhode island I think not sure of the name my auntie has some they seem to make good friends with everyone and are pretty laid back.

what do you recommend I do a lot of baking and we also love omelets so need a reasonable size egg. x
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2011, 04:18 PM
I've got 3 Heinz 57 chickens - they have a little run of 6ft x 12ft which is like fort knox for when i'm not here and a bigger run of 25ft x 15ft for when i'm home but i want them kept out of the garden. Your space is ample size - if you look on minimum sizes allowed per chicken you'd be surprised at the amount they "need"! I feel mean when I shut them in the smaller run but i know they're safe and I know people who keep 6-8 hens in that size of run and they get on quite well. As long as they have enough green stuff to keep them healthy then they'll be happy - and don't count on the grass staying there for long - it lasted about a week in ours! As for eggs, from my 3 they're bigger than the biggest you can buy from a supermarket!

Have fun with them - they're awfully addictive!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I would just go for a hybrid type, unless you are wanting a specific breed or rescue some ex-batts. The hybrids are good layers and lay decent sized eggs.

Helen
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
I've got 3 Heinz 57 chickens - they have a little run of 6ft x 12ft which is like fort knox for when i'm not here and a bigger run of 25ft x 15ft for when i'm home but i want them kept out of the garden. Your space is ample size - if you look on minimum sizes allowed per chicken you'd be surprised at the amount they "need"! I feel mean when I shut them in the smaller run but i know they're safe and I know people who keep 6-8 hens in that size of run and they get on quite well. As long as they have enough green stuff to keep them healthy then they'll be happy - and don't count on the grass staying there for long - it lasted about a week in ours! As for eggs, from my 3 they're bigger than the biggest you can buy from a supermarket!

Have fun with them - they're awfully addictive!
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I would just go for a hybrid type, unless you are wanting a specific breed or rescue some ex-batts. The hybrids are good layers and lay decent sized eggs.

Helen
Thank you
I must admit I am very excited at the prospect of having chickens running around the garden and its an added bonus about the grass less lawn to mow lol.
I cant wait I'm am not fussy about particular breeds a good friend is looking out for a pen for me he lives out in the country and keeps chickens and said he can sort me out 4 hens to get me going I don't mind what they are I will love them all the same, the eggs are a big bonus.

I have a big veg patch in the section where I will house the chickens will they eat my cabbages if they are not covered? I can put cloches over if needed.

Cant wait to get going now xx
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by lolly2012 View Post

I have a big veg patch in the section where I will house the chickens will they eat my cabbages if they are not covered?xx
Oh hell yes!!! You can kiss your veggies goodbye
I let mine out of theie larger run when i'm out there but you definitely have to supervise!
lolly2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I am the happiest person on the planet right now I have just brought home my 4 chickens today and I am over the moon with them. The birds are black copper marans and within the first hour of settling them into the coop we had our first egg.

I cant wait until morning so I can go see them again.
They are very large but very gentle they all let me pick them up and place them in their new home with no fuss at all.

I have named one Gertie another Maisy and I need two more names for the other two any ideas?
cant be milly or George or smudge as they are the names of my two dogs and cat.

I won't sleep tonight and I'm sure I will be up at the crack of dawn to go see them lol

any advice on settling them in would be grateful received although it appears they are already very happy they look like they have been there for years already.x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >