Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Toxoplasma gondii.

I have just listened to a FASCINATING programme on Radio 4 on Toxoplasma gondii.

I would urge you to try and listen to it as I guarantee you will find something out that you did not know before.

Particularly in relation to Schizophrenia and RTAs (Road Traffic Accidents).

Very eye opening.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-04-2011, 02:56 PM
I read something a while ago that I thought was fascinating too. If you can dig up some links, that may be helpful for others as I doubt the program will air again - unless it's on demand online?
Mala
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:00 AM
The programme was called "Voodoo Wasps and Zombie Worms" and is available on BBC iplayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/search/iplayer/...Zombie%20Worms

Most of the fine details seem to be on this web page of the Stanley Medical Research Institute: http://www.stanleyresearch.org/dnn/L...7/Default.aspx

I think I also heard about this some years ago - it's wonderfully complex, like some kind of science fiction conspiracy story.

Mala
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Fantastic! I'm fascinated with this kind of thing, and I've recently been watching the "Monsters Inside Me" programmes on The History Channel (I think? Could have been CBS reality or something on Sky). You just wouldn't believe what can happen by these little critters, and although it was people who got infected in the programmes, more often than not, it was the dogs or wildlife that they contracted them from! Absolutely fascinating, thanks for that link