Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Starting out.

Hi guys, I'm just enquiring how you all started out with your showing??

Thanks in advance
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I went to a handling class that also did ring craft, someone there was drumming up entries for an open show and asked if I would like to enter.
After a bit of persuading I entered and the rest is history.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 04:43 PM
We had previously done a few companion shows for fun with my Irish and English.

After getting my first Gordon we went to meet up his breeder at Crufts she was entered.

We thought we might like to have a go... while we were there she managed to find someone who ran a ringcraft localish to me. We went along entered an open show and got a third - and the bug got hold!!!

I would always advise having a chat with your dogs breeder, finding a ringcraft group who will help you in anyway to show your dog to its best advantage and will help and guide you regarding show entries if necessary. and maybe even be at a show to calm your nerves!

My first chamption show entry I paid without CC's fee as thought I don't have a CC? Secretary was lovely and phoned for correct entry fee oops.

Also I have known people enter all classes they are eligible for in the breed at an open show which is fine but generally one class is enough to begin with.

Best advice I can give is regardless of what happens at any show you take the best dog home and enjoy it !
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
We had previously done a few companion shows for fun with my Irish and English.

After getting my first Gordon we went to meet up his breeder at Crufts she was entered.

We thought we might like to have a go... while we were there she managed to find someone who ran a ringcraft localish to me. We went along entered an open show and got a third - and the bug got hold!!!

I would always advise having a chat with your dogs breeder, finding a ringcraft group who will help you in anyway to show your dog to its best advantage and will help and guide you regarding show entries if necessary. and maybe even be at a show to calm your nerves!

My first chamption show entry I paid without CC's fee as thought I don't have a CC? Secretary was lovely and phoned for correct entry fee oops.

Also I have known people enter all classes they are eligible for in the breed at an open show which is fine but generally one class is enough to begin with.

Best advice I can give is regardless of what happens at any show you take the best dog home and enjoy it !
I agree with Rach...excellent advice

I bought my first Irish Setter from a puppy farm as I didn't know any better, I took him along to ringcraft and it was pointed out he was a monorchid...I'd never thought to check he had everything there Anyway, 10 years later when I lost him I got my first English Setter and started doing what I had intended with my Irish.

We were also hooked from the start, although I always made myself feel so sick with nerves for those first few years.

Now I can't get enough of it
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Way back in the 50s had a GSD, had a litter as advised by vet using a show stud dog, Best bitch was a bi colour who didn't sell as quickly as the "pretty" ones so we kept her. Took her to a show at 6 months & she won. We were hooked & the rest is history.
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks so much for your input

xx
SallyG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2011, 07:13 AM
I started out in obedience which I did for many years, then my mentor had a tragic accident with one of her dogs and gave up. I entered a local companion show for fun, and after winning a large class of dogs the judge said my dog was quite a good specimen of the breed and I should show her. She did ok at open shows, but was not champ show quality, so I went to Crufts and studied all the breeders lines to see which direction I wanted to go in. Not doing much at the moment though, due to judges I want to give an entry to judging shows the other side of the Country and the price of petrol!!