Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:25 AM

Bulls, cows and dogs

...especially when they're out walking with their dogs?

I've just had the almightiest of nightmares (yes I was asleep and it wasn't real but it's a real problem I have!). A bull, fence running, horns and everything, I was walking the other side with the dogs up a lane, then the flaming huge ugly thing jumped the fence and started chasing us.

Lukily in the dream we found a nice tea room to hide in and had a cup of tea and shortbread and all my fears were gone().

But seriously, since a whole herd ganged up on us a couple of summers ago I've always feared them so much. That time they were in calf and saw Zeke as I threat I think, even though we were slinking down the side of the field practically ON the fence! There was no other route.

So I was wondering, I've never sought the answer, are cows like horses? If you feel threatened are you meant to make yourself look big, or will this make them worse?

Really got me thinking it did .
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Being chased by cows is one of my worst nightmares too ~ after a few close escapes so I know how you feel.

I don't know if making yourself look big would have any effect or make it worse (I've never hung around long enough to find out!) But I've sometimes taken long detours to avoid cows, especially if they have calves.

On the few local walks where we know there are cows I'll chance it if the cows are on the other side of the field because I know these are popular dog walking places & the cows are generally used to dogs ~ but otherwise, better safe than sorry!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
Being chased by cows is one of my worst nightmares too ~ after a few close escapes so I know how you feel.

I don't know if making yourself look big would have any effect or make it worse (I've never hung around long enough to find out!) But I've sometimes taken long detours to avoid cows, especially if they have calves.

On the few local walks where we know there are cows I'll chance it if the cows are on the other side of the field because I know these are popular dog walking places & the cows are generally used to dogs ~ but otherwise, better safe than sorry!
You're right, and glad it's not just me! I just find them so big, and so unpredictable, at least horses an be tamed/broken and trained, but with cows, they're wild, so big. I thank god they can't run too fast!
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
You're right, and glad it's not just me! I just find them so big, and so unpredictable, at least horses an be tamed/broken and trained, but with cows, they're wild, so big. I thank god they can't run too fast!
They bl**dy can!!! Well a lot faster than me anyway!

My main worry (for the dogs) is that they'll get a kick from a cow.

I heard a very sad story about a dog owned by a friend of my mothers. She was picking blackberries in a field with a lone horse. She had horses of her own, so wasn't scared & her dog was great around horses too. She'd taught the dog a good down stay & when the horse in this field came over, she downed her dog, & carried on picking blackberries. Without warning the horse ran at gher dog, kicked it in the head & it died of its injuries. She never forgave herself ~ if only she'd allowed the dog to follow its instincts & move.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:13 AM
We've had an actual expereince in real life of this. Only the herd of about 40 were being chased by a very young setter which the owner had off lead with absolute no re-call.

We were over Sutton Park, and anyone going over there should know its common land used for grazing large herds of bullocks.
We had ours off lead as normal and we decided to walk a different route when all we heard was a thunder of feet, someone shouting at the top of thier voice and a stampede of cattle came flying out

Tess and Bruce were ahead of us, luckily Reah was close to me and Skye was with Pat a few inches in front.

All we could do was stand perfectly still and I did shout ''Bruce Tess DOWN'' I have to admit I was waiting to hear dog screams as I wasn't sure whether Bruce or Tess had gone Down as the herd were running between us and they were the other side
Luckily Tess had paid attention (I thought Bruce would anyway) but I had to drag our FS and myself into some bushes otherwise we would of been underfoot.

Its not an experience I would like to repeat
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
They bl**dy can!!! Well a lot faster than me anyway!

My main worry (for the dogs) is that they'll get a kick from a cow.

I heard a very sad story about a dog owned by a friend of my mothers. She was picking blackberries in a field with a lone horse. She had horses of her own, so wasn't scared & her dog was great around horses too. She'd taught the dog a good down stay & when the horse in this field came over, she downed her dog, & carried on picking blackberries. Without warning the horse ran at gher dog, kicked it in the head & it died of its injuries. She never forgave herself ~ if only she'd allowed the dog to follow its instincts & move.
Oh no, how sad.

I too am used to horses, but I have known a couple to be very bolshy when you cross their field ( I only did it once, and it was on a proper path for walkers and dogs).

As for cows, I've been chased with my dogs, who were on lead and at a very well walked spot on the Purbecks (so my theory was that the cows would be used to walkers).

They didn't like my dogs, but were fine with drop eared dogs who i saw walking past them

Not a nice experience. I am very wary of cows now,especially if with calf. And also Dairy bulls. I just avoid all of their fields, if necessary I double back.

Wys
x
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Ok I am a novice farmer I have only been married to my farmer (dairy) husband for 3 years. Since living on the farm I have found the best way to move the cows is shout very loud and wave your arms in the air (you do look like you are having a bit of a fit ) I have done this even with the bull I was terrified and the OH was on the otherside of the feild rounding up some heifers, he saw me having trouble with the bull and shouted over SHOUT AT HIM, so I did, I looked like a mad woman gave me enough time to get into the tractor.
. Saying all that it does of course depend on what sort of cows they are, dairy are usually pretty easy, heifers are harder as not used to being handeled. Meat cows I would think would be more difficult.

And yes wilbar is right they can run fast when they want. So my advice learn to shout really loud
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
i think if you avoid them when they have calves you should be ok, the bulls protect their young.

there is a big field by us and you have to walk on the path down the side of it with a very thin wonky fence between you and about 15 lady cows and one big bull apparently named Bernard

Bernard looks like he doesnt suffer fools gladly and Motley decided one day he was going to 'have a go' which was rather embarassing and scary. Luckily Bernard just looked at him over the fence in a 'i eat bigger grass for breakfast' kind of way.....
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
cows dont bother me but then again ive lived in the country all my life, and when i was little (talking about age 8 here) i used to help on a farm, we had to herd the cows, and my job was to stop them coming one way, so i stood there, not very big and had to stand stock still, wave my arms about and shout at the top of my voice. have to say since then whenever i have had any trouble with cows i just do the same, daphni doesnt bother around cows, and she does come back as soon as shes called so its not too bad, asbo is yet to meet some
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
We've had an actual expereince in real life of this. Only the herd of about 40 were being chased by a very young setter which the owner had off lead with absolute no re-call.

We were over Sutton Park, and anyone going over there should know its common land used for grazing large herds of bullocks.
We had ours off lead as normal and we decided to walk a different route when all we heard was a thunder of feet, someone shouting at the top of thier voice and a stampede of cattle came flying out

Tess and Bruce were ahead of us, luckily Reah was close to me and Skye was with Pat a few inches in front.

All we could do was stand perfectly still and I did shout ''Bruce Tess DOWN'' I have to admit I was waiting to hear dog screams as I wasn't sure whether Bruce or Tess had gone Down as the herd were running between us and they were the other side
Luckily Tess had paid attention (I thought Bruce would anyway) but I had to drag our FS and myself into some bushes otherwise we would of been underfoot.

Its not an experience I would like to repeat
we have the dodge the cows routine in the summer here too Ours tend to ignore them and if they moo at them they run My cousins springers decided to chase one one day I have never seen a cow and springer run round a bush so fast We have also been there when they all came down to Banners gate car park, they were all really frisky and humping each other chasing people and generally being very unpredictable,I feared somneones car was going to be damaged and was glad ours was not in the carpark as it was too busy. Also on holiday in Northumberland we were by a field full of cows, fenced thank goodness and they saw us and all charged the full length of the field, making a right rackett and looking wild eyed,Think they thought it was dinner time!!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >