Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2011, 10:36 AM

A question for the future

Hello, i have 3 dogs aged 4, 2 and 1 and in 2014 Jan my partner reaches the grand old age of 40, she really wants a working golden cocker and in 3 years time my dogs will be obviously 7,5 and 4, would this be an ideal time to introduce a newbie and would my female be better as the only female with 2 males or would it be better to balance it at 2 male and 2 female, i hope that makes sense.
The other thing is that in 2014 we are going to upgrade he car to a hybrid car/van thingy so we will have the room.
Any opinions welcome good or bad and yes i know 3 years is a long way away but we will be after a top quality working cocker and the waiting list for some of them is very long.
Cheers.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Sadie was a few months off being 9 and Benjie is going to be 8 this year and we introduced Louie at 8 weeks on July 18th 2010 - Sadie gets on famously with him and she mothers him and Benjie - well they're getting there slowly.

If your dogs are good with other dogs of all ages and gender then it is only for you to decide.
Thinking back we should have gotten a female due to Benjie DA issues but then Sadie might not have taken well to a female as her owners have gotten a female Shih Tzu who is now 14 weeks and Sadie is having trouble adjusting to her. So it is really up to you to decide which gender would get on best with your dogs.

Two males may fight over a female or they may just get on...it's totally up to the dogs

Good luck
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Is there a perfect time to introduce a working cocker into your home.............. ROFLMAO

I am very jealous, ADORE them!

You did not mention in your post whether the dogs you have are neutered or not.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 02:48 PM
How do your dogs get on with other females and male dogs? I think as long as the other dogs have mature themselves and are trained fairly well then I would not see a problem in introducing another pup to the household.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I think its lovely that your planning so far in advance and not just waiting and getting, kind of thing!
I think it really depends on how your current dogs are with other dogs, do they get on with dogs they ,eet? Do they seem to like femals/ males more?
Are your dogs nutered?

I have 2 male border collies, and have recently got a female pup, the reason I got a female is my youngest male has a few issues regarding dominece, so we figured a female would be better andsuit our situation better than another male.
Both of our males are nuetered now so I think that does help.

Are you thinking of getting a pup or a trained dog?
In my experience puppies are accepted by the pack easier than an adult dog..maybe something to consider.

Good luck in your search!