Female 

06-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Toilet trouble

thanks for advice, will start puppy training again
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
To assume a dog knows it's done "wrong" is a bit basic - dogs will pick up on your body language and tone of voice and react accordingly, but humanizing them won't really help with toilet training. Punishing him, especially if you haven't caught him in the act, can just make things worse - for example, you might start the bad habit of him eating his poo to "hide the evidence". Rubbing his nose in it really isn't going to teach him anything at all, other than that you're a bit mean and rub his face in poo!
You need to pinpoint the change in behaviour - a vet trip to rule out a health condition is probably worthwhile, something like a bladder infection can cause a lapse in housetraining.
Behavioural issues could play a part too. Has anything changed in your/his life? Someone moved in, moved out, working hours changed, even just furniture moved around or DIY going on?
The product you use to clean up after him can help or hinder progress too. Household cleaners may either not clean up the mess entirely or may contain ammonia itself - basically it looks and smells clean to you, but a dog's sensitive nose picks up the smell of ammonia and to them, that area still smells like a toilet. A bit like how most dogs will feel the urge to pee up a lamppost that smells of dog wee, a dog is often much more likely to pee in the same spot if not cleaned up properly. Something like biological washing powder can break down the stain/smell properly, or white vinegar or lemon juice both work well - mix 50:50 with water and pop in a spray bottle to use on any messes in the house.
If it's been happening for a while then it may now have become a habit, even if it was initially caused by a health issue. Once you're sure that it's not a health issue (or that the health issue has been treated), you may need to go back to basics and re-house train him. Frequent toilet breaks just as you would with a puppy, and this means that you need to go out with him (keep some sandals and a coat by the back door!) and really praise him for going to the toilet outside. It's really important that you go out rather than just chucking him out on his own - firstly, it means you know he's definately been, and secondly, how will he learn that it's a good thing to pee outside if you're not there praising him? Right now, he's probably thinking it's a bad thing to pee outside, because he gets chucked outside and ignored, which won't give him positive associations with toiletting outside. You can try to give him a cue word for toiletting too - we did "Do a welldone!" with my previous pup. This means that they learn to toilet on command, which can help as you can take him out and make sure he's done the deed before leaving him unattended - then you'll get an idea of whether he's doing it because he can't hold it, or if there's another reason for it. If he's doing it in the night then I've heard lots of people have had success with taking the dog for a short 5 minute walk before bedtime simply for the purpose of making sure the dog is empty (a walk around a street can help as a) the dog will probably feel compelled to wee over the smell of another dog's wee in a public place, and b) exercise tends to stimulate pooing).
Hope that helps and hopefully some more advice will be posted
traceybax
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
thankyou.....just to clarify i didnt rub his face in poo!!! only his nose in the wee that he did inside from someone elses advice which obviously didnt work well, couldn't even call it a rub just a sniff of it to be honest, i love my dog im not mean to him, he gets the best of everything!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
He may have got it into his head that going to the toilet anywhere is bad. But he has to go somewhere so is holding it until he is alone?

Does he wee in front of you? Does he go ok when you are out?

Unfortunately its back to basics, lots of trips outside and lots of praise when he gets it right! If he does it inside don't make a fuss, take him outside and try to clean up when he's not there using a non-bleach product
traceybax
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
thanks, yes he goes when he's out and he goes outside in the garden and i give him fuss when he does but also goes inside even when the door is open.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Do you leave the door open for him? This may sound a little odd but this can actually hinder toilet training - the dog has free access so struggles to differentiate between indoors and outdoors. By shutting the door and physically taking him out to the garden for toilet breaks, he will learn that indoors means no peeing, going outside means peeing.
Largocc
New Member!
Female 

06-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Certainly wouldnt rub his nose in it. I tend to go with the theory that if a pup/young dog has an accident it tends to be my fault as I have not offered him out often enough. I would be giving loads of praise and treats when he goes outside and reinforce the good behaviour as opposed to punishing the bad. Has he had a fright in the garden that makes him reluctant to go out?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Teaching a command to toilet is a great time and very useful too. Raina can pee and poo (she will try anyway) when asked now.

Try the excellent advise given and remember that toilet training does not always follow a nice curve of improvement and is very up and down. There were times with our i thought we were never going to get there but with persistance and patience we did
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 02:28 PM
So you told him off and `rubbed his nose in it` and he runs away when he`s weed. Not surprising really.
Please go back to basics with your training and read a few puppy books on how to do it.
Dogs don`t `know they`ve done wrong`. The poor dog just knows that you get nasty sometimes. Locking a dog outside is pointless - I really don`t know why you`ve done that.
When house training a dog you have to take them out every hour or so, stay there till they oblige, then praise them. If you keep him with you, and put a house line on, you can simply lead him outside if he starts to cock his leg indoors.
A dog will always return to his usual spot to pee, so if he has been allowed to urinate on wood floors you`ll have to treat them with an anti-bacterial agent to get rid of the scent or the dog will always return to it. It`s what they do. Dilute Jeyes Fluid is about the cheapest.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Do you leave the door open for him? This may sound a little odd but this can actually hinder toilet training - the dog has free access so struggles to differentiate between indoors and outdoors. By shutting the door and physically taking him out to the garden for toilet breaks, he will learn that indoors means no peeing, going outside means peeing.
I got my rescue boy at 6 months after a very good summer, IMO he didn't really understand housetraining which I think was due to him having had the run of the garden all summer.

Much better to start again and retrain him. Good luck
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >