Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Ran over a dog. :-(

Last night at about 7:15pm a small black dog ran under my wheels, I hit the brakes but couldn't stop intime. Felt it hit the front bumper then go 'crunch' under the wheels. I pulled into the next street (off of the main road) & ran back looking in the road & on the verge, searching for the dog & asking people if they'd seen the dog. But couldn't find it. I called the 'non emergency' police number & was told to take my licence,insurance & mot certificate to a police station the following day. So that's what I did today.
Everyone who i've spoke to has told me not to worry but I can't help it. Ther's a grieving family & dead/injured dog someware. & I'm in an emotional 'no mans land', all I can think about is the poor dog & what state it must be in.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh no

That must have been horrible- but you did all you could and its not your fault.
Looking at the positive- at least the dog was able to get up and move away, hopefully he was picked up by someone or ran home.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Awwww Sweetheart, so sad to read this and I can understand how you must be feeling. Are you sure you hit it? maybe you just clipped it and it's ran off home (Oh I hope so).

Really you have done all you can to find the dog, at least you went back to look, many others wouldn't have bothered hun.

hugs to you ..try not to dwell on it too much.

Might be an idea to put a notice in your local newsagents to see if anyone know owt.

xxxxx
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, its been my worst nightmare since i started driving that something runs out in front of the car. You did everything you could and theres no way you could have avoided him. Big hugs. x
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 04:56 PM
What a terrible experience and thing to happen, but these things do and is only natural for you to be worried and upset. You have done everything you possible can, going to look for the dog and going to report it. It must have sounded terrible but maybe not as bad so that the dog was not seriously injured and has been found. I can't imagine how you're feeling but try not to beat yourself up, am sorry can only send a big hug and know you've done all you can ((x))
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I know it's not the same but I hope it's some small consolation that the dog could be ok...

Not so long ago I ran over a rabbit, it made an almight sound under the car. I turned round and drove back to find the rabbit sitting in the road pawing at it's head (there were no visible injuries though). As soon as I pulled up in front of it it hopped off across the verge and into the undergrowth seemingly completely unharmed.

Thats the first time i've ran something over and it was an awful feeling. I just cant imagine the horror you must be feeling that it was a dog and you cant put your mind to rest about whats happened to it.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 05:23 PM
You've done all that you can try not to beat yourself up.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
hiya
how horrid for you, the only other thing i can suggest is to look on doglost for your area and see if any missing dogs and you could at least post up to say that might be a possible situation.
my cousins dog once got run right over by a van, he ( staffie ) came away with a cut on his back leg and the van came off with a broken suspension..... so might have sounded worse than it was!!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2011, 08:11 PM
You poor thing, you have just lived through a nightmare.

Try to believe that the dog was merely a little stunned and shaken, because it is possible especially if you were not going fast, but in the meantime take heart in the fact that you have done everything possible.

The only other thing that I can suggest is that you put a letter in the local paper explaining what happened, - that way either the owner will get in touch to say that the dog is okay, or will at least be grateful that they know in what area to look for it.

It could have been a stray unfortunately, in which case you may never find out.

Good luck, and try not to relive it too much in your mind.
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Thank-you everyone for trying to make me feel better.
Brundog: that made me laugh, don't know why though as I drive a van. (a kangoo)
Bitkin: yes I was going quite slow as it's a 30mph limit, plus I had to almost stop shortly before hitting it 'cos a car in front wanted to turn left, so would still be accellerating away from the junction/not yet up to speed limit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >