Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Nuts ok?

OH has just bought a bag of mixed nuts, which contain Walnuts, Almonds, Brazil and Hazel Nuts and we were wondering if it was ok to feed some of them to Storm? He is a little on the thin side and he has had a couple of nuts before (not Macadamia!!) and really enjoyed them! So is it ok to give him some as a regular treat?
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:13 PM
i think nuts are fine, Missy loves them and they have never caused her any problems, full of essential oils and high in calories so a good way for your pup to put on a bit of weight
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Mine eat them too, and have always been fine
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I have my brother-in-law to thank for my dog's love of nuts, walnuts in particular - he & my sister taught their GSDs how to crack and eat them, then one Christmas he decided to show Merlin how it's done! It's amazing how delicately dogs can pick out the bits of nut from the shell.

There's a walnut tree a few gardens away here and for a while Merlin was coming in from the garden with walnuts dropped by the jackdaws!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Is choking not a bit of a hazard?
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I'm actually refraining from giving him some of the bigger nuts like Walnuts for this reason. Walnuts are so big and if he did swallow one, it wouldn't be good!

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 05:14 PM
We didn't give them for years because we feared choking then realised they are no bigger than kibble which is never a problem - haven't lost a dog yet and they have all sorts of nuts.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Mine eat nuts and are nuts !!!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Not in my experience.... thr trick is to teach the dog what nuts are, and how to get into them. My BIL would crack them first, then offer them to the dog, who soon learned how to crack the bigger ones themselves. Merlin certainly hasn't forgotten how to get into a walnut!

Edit: Sorry just re-read and realised I didn't mean to sound so strong... obviously everyone's dogs are different, but when a dog is taught how to deal with something like that, they do learn & remember. It's like giving a dog a whole raw egg... some have no interest until you break the shell a little... others automatically crunch it open in their jaws, some pick it up & drop it, and a few might bat it round the floor. But once a dog has learned that an egg is food and knows how to get into it, the dog will remember, and that's much like various kinds of nuts.

Yes I would be cautious with nuts until you have shown & taught the dog that a nut is food, by cracking them open at first, and teaching them. After that you will probably find they know exactly how to get inside the nuts by using their teeth. I'm certain that wolves, foxes and other canids have taken advantage of nuts long before we came along
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Just not the chocolate ones!