Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-11-2010, 02:55 PM

New puppy and mouthing/ biting

Hi everyone, at the begining of this week i got a new puppy, he is a bullmastiff x rotwiler and he is 9 weeks old. He has settled in great to our family, toilet training is going well with very few accidents, the only problem i have at the moment is he likes to chew things, which i knew he would but the problem is it really hurts sometimes and we tell him no when he starts it and he does it more and barks at us, my partner recently broke her leg and has metal plates put in and the scars are still not fully healed and he decided this morning that he would have a bite of it I know that he is a puppy and this behaviour is normal but is there anything i should do to limit this behaviour? or do we just have to grin and bare it and cover up our body parts
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I've seen lots of people recommend against the "ow"/"no" reaction lately. Attention is attention, whether it's negative or positive, and by giving any reaction it's giving the dog some attention. It seems to be recommended to react by getting up without a word and leaving the room. That way the puppy learns that biting means they get no play, no attention, nothing of any benefit to them. Probably going to be hard for your partner to get up and leave quickly but you could perhaps just quitely lead pup out of the room for a minute as a timeout?
At 9 weeks old I imagine it will take a while for him to get the idea though as he'll probably forget the 'lesson' within 5 minutes but just keep bing consistant and you'll get there
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi there. This is what I handout to my puppy groups

Play Biting and Mouthing

Prevention

If your puppy is biting/mouthing you during play or when you're just trying to pet him, simply END the interaction, get up and leave THE INSTANT HE BITES or lead your puppy out of the room for a 2 minute time out using a house training line (this takes away all attention rather than trying to grab for him, which quickly turns into a game of chase anyway).

This will teach the dog that his biting causes you, his playmate, to go away. BE PERSISTENT! This works with most pups. It is something they understand and the offender learns to inhibit the force of his bite and eventually the frequency of it. You can resume the game again after a short time out (up to 2 minutes).

Things which are NOT a good idea

* Getting aggressive – if you get aggressive with your puppy by shouting or smacking, he will learn to be more aggressive. (no! you don’t want to teach that!)

*Grab him by the scruff of the neck – he will think it’s a game or he may well become more aggressive as you hurt him grabbing hold of a lump of flesh.

*Children – where there are children in the house, mouthing is likely to be more of a problem. Children must never be left unsupervised with a young puppy. You must first teach the puppy not to mouth adults. After that you can show your children how to achieve the same effect and most important, that the puppy is not a toy.

*Rough and tumble – it is very important that all members of the household do not encourage rough play, by teasing, grabbing or playing wrestling games with the puppy. In fact, do not play in any way that will encourage or teach your puppy to bite, as this is grossly unfair to him and he will not be able to differentiate between being allowed to bite some people and not others.

Biting is a normal behavior. Don't think that your puppy will "grow out of it". If he has been reinforced for his biting he will just get better at it. Manage it correctly and your puppy will learn how to treat delicate, human skin with kindness and respect.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 03:13 PM
My favourite trick is to rub frozen butter on skin - to associate skin with licking instead of biting, also dont do this too often as this may cause an obession of licking skin- which with the mastiff in him, wont be desirable with guests

Another trick is to yelp like a puppy when you are bitten - like his littermates would.

And another one is to say no when he's biting something undesirable and then put a toy or chew in his mouth.

Lots of chews and toys will help, we soaked a rope toy in chicken soup then freezed it to give some relief to the pain of teething and keeps him busy for an hour or two (depending on his attention span)

Good luck with him, if he's anything like my friends mastiff cross rottie - he'll make a great dog
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Oh, thought i'd also add:
Ive got a 12 week old Rottie pup at the moment. He's generally inclined to bite when he gets bored. So I generally schedule 3 to 4 training sessions per day for approx 5 to 10 minutes at a time. I go through the basics: sit, stand, down, wait, stay etc. I then have a play session with a toy, playing fetch or tug, teaching him the rules of the games.

Since designating training/play sessions, he very rarely nips and bites.
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-11-2010, 12:32 PM
thanx peeps for all your input im following all advice given and it's working a treat, obviously he's still trying but the advice is calming him down. doing the training as well he's really picking up on it faster than i thought in fact. his bed is in the kitchen and doing brill with sleeping as well, he goes in when he's tired and at night there's no telling him he goes straight to bed for the night. of course first couple of nights when he was in the kitchen i stayed on the settee in case. but 2-3 mins of whining and 1-2 barks and he's gone, so in bed last night and he was brill.