Long line vs Extendable lead

Which is better and why? Please discuss
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Depends what you want to use it for.

I use both for recall training.

The retractable lead is a good place to start if you are having trouble handling the long line. But I know some owners find it really difficult to get the hang of it.

I prefer to use the long training line for recall since you have the option to drop the line once your dog is becoming more reliable. I also find the dog tends to 'forget' its on the long line after a few weeks of use, making it easier to eventually 'phase' out to completely off lead. It also gives your dog a little more freedom.

Pros and Cons:
Pros for long line: Easier to phase out of recall training, gives dog more freedom, dog feels like they are 'off lead' making recall training more realistic.

Cons for long line: gets wet and muddy, can be difficult to use if you have a large breed dog who goes 0-60, tends to get tangled up.

Pros for retractable: no worries about wet and muddy, gives the dog freedom, easy to use, can be better to start with big dogs.

Cons for retractable: can snap, harder to phase out of recall training as the dog is aware its on a lead

Personally, If i start with the retractable for recall training, I will always change to the long line later on in order to phase it out.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Indie85 View Post

The retractable lead is a good place to start if you are having trouble handling the long line. But I know some owners find it really difficult to get the hang of it.

I prefer to use the long training line for recall since you have the option to drop the line once your dog is becoming more reliable. I also find the dog tends to 'forget' its on the long line after a few weeks of use, making it easier to eventually 'phase' out to completely off lead. It also gives your dog a little more freedom.

Pros and Cons:
Pros for long line: Easier to phase out of recall training, gives dog more freedom, dog feels like they are 'off lead' making recall training more realistic.

Cons for long line: gets wet and muddy, can be difficult to use if you have a large breed dog who goes 0-60, tends to get tangled up.

Pros for retractable: no worries about wet and muddy, gives the dog freedom, easy to use, can be better to start with big dogs.

Cons for retractable: can snap, harder to phase out of recall training as the dog is aware its on a lead

Personally, If i start with the retractable for recall training, I will always change to the long line later on in order to phase it out.
Excellent post. I agree!
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I can`t bear extending leads - you`ve no control, and the dog is always aware of the pressure. I`ve had rope burns and also problems when the lock slipped so I`d never use them again.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I don't like using retractables as if you have other dogs, kids, even adults there is a risk of nasty burns should they come in contact with the line or worse, get tangled in it.

They often snap or the hold mechanism breaks meaning the dog suddenly has full run of the lead, often at moments when they need to be close at hand.
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I can`t bear extending leads - you`ve no control, and the dog is always aware of the pressure. I`ve had rope burns and also problems when the lock slipped so I`d never use them again.
Yes I agree with this. I should add that to the cons list. You have less control with an extendable. I've also noticed that the majority of owners i meet, really struggle to get the hang of retractable leads, and rope burns are nasty! I also had someone last week with a big dog accidentally 'lock' it when the dog started running full pelt and wasnt braced for the impact. Sent him flying!

That's the other trouble with the retractable, if you let go, you've lost your lead to within 1 metre of your dog. With the long line, if you let go, you've still got 10 metres gain on your dog.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 05:13 PM
That's the other trouble with the retractable, if you let go, you've lost your lead to within 1 metre of your dog.
And there's a good chance your dog will try to run away from the thing chasing it if you drop that clunky plastic handle.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Indie85 View Post

Pros and Cons:

I completely agree with this, although I've only used an extendable lead once or twice! Much prefer a long line (well a lunge line pinched from a horsey friend with too many to use at once!!)
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Fantastic, thanks I knew there was a reason why I was using a long line rather than a extending lead but I didn't know what it was
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >