Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:44 PM

Eating for two........

Thought that might get your attention!

It's not what you think so i'll explain!!

During the week I live by myself as OH is currently on a long-term course and is based away from home so only comes home at weekends. I am absolutely rubbish at cooking for one - i always cook too much so it means Monty often gets leftovers and now i've gotten into the habit of thinking it doesn't matter if i cook too much because i know Monty will eat it.

However i'm starting to wonder whether this is good for him or whether it's too much? The only leftovers or duplicate meals he gets are anything that consists of just plain meat, veg, fish, pasta or rice and i always mix it in with his normal food. It never seems to have an adverse effect on his toilet habits and he doesn't seem to be piling on the pounds.

Does anyone else feed their dog in this way or do i own the most spoilt dog ever?!?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Ours get leftovers, meat, fish, pasta, rice and veg. Never done them any harm
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Thought that might get your attention!

It's not what you think so i'll explain!!

During the week I live by myself as OH is currently on a long-term course and is based away from home so only comes home at weekends. I am absolutely rubbish at cooking for one - i always cook too much so it means Monty often gets leftovers and now i've gotten into the habit of thinking it doesn't matter if i cook too much because i know Monty will eat it.

However i'm starting to wonder whether this is good for him or whether it's too much? The only leftovers or duplicate meals he gets are anything that consists of just plain meat, veg, fish, pasta or rice and i always mix it in with his normal food. It never seems to have an adverse effect on his toilet habits and he doesn't seem to be piling on the pounds.

Does anyone else feed their dog in this way or do i own the most spoilt dog ever?!?
Monty is a very lucky boy. He probably has a perfectly balanced diet with more variety than most of his doggy friends.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Esme, DON'T do that

Mo always has a Sunday dinner, which she loves but if I do it too often she gets to like our food more and won't eat her own and I don't think that is good for her.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Mine always get leftovers in the event there are any, and of course provided that they are suitable. I am 100% for giving dogs a variety of foodstuffs.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Ours get leftovers, meat, fish, pasta, rice and veg. Never done them any harm
Glad to hear it's not just me then!!

Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Monty is a very lucky boy. He probably has a perfectly balanced diet with more variety than most of his doggy friends.
I keep reminding him that he is a lot luckier than most other dogs!

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Esme, DON'T do that

Mo always has a Sunday dinner, which she loves but if I do it too often she gets to like our food more and won't eat her own and I don't think that is good for her.
Sorry Jen!!

Monty has sunday dinner most weeks and all the extras during the week as well! Infact last sunday i had spaghetti bolognese and he gave me the dirtiest look when i tried to explain that he couldn't have spag bol!!

His normal food is Chappie and he has both their biscuits and their tinned food mixed together. He always eats the tinned food but often leaves the biscuits! He's so picky!!
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:10 PM
My dogs get leftovers too, and they love it!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Mine always get leftovers in the event there are any, and of course provided that they are suitable. I am 100% for giving dogs a variety of foodstuffs.
I always think a bit of variety is nice, it must get boring eating the same flavour food everyday! The chappie he is on has done wonders for his bowels and he still mostly enjoys it but i always think it's nice to give him something different mixed in.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Our elder two dogs get leftover, the pup doesnt. He only get's real pieces of chicken or other meat (except pork obviously) and the elder two dont get food they used to have if the pups not allowed it, if the pups not there they can have it.
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2010, 10:04 PM
When i'm at home Muppet has to make do with his own food as I tend to eat things that aren't sutable for dogs such as pizzas or stir frys with loads of onions in. (I feed raw, so he's definatly not hard done by. lol)
When we're working on the market (3 days a week) he gets loads of scraps at (human) dinner time,
for egxample last tuesday he got: about a dozen chips from me, half a ham sandwich from the stall holder next to me, almost a full meat & tatie pie with gravey in one of them polistyrean trays from another stall holder, & half a cornish pasty from another!
To say he's spoilt at the market would be a massive understatement.
Needless to say after that lot I saved a bit of money by not feeding him that night.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >