View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2010, 06:41 AM

How long til a pup sleeps throught the night?

We have a 12 week old labrador who is great.

He goes the bed at between 10-11 and then usually whines to go outside for a pee/poo at about 3am, then goes back to bed and wakes again about 6-7 for a pee. The house is then awake and getting ready for our day. He has been like this since day one so I think I am quite lucky.

When do you think the 3am one will be in the past?

wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 06:52 AM
You are definitely very lucky. To be so consistent & to let you know when he needs to go, is fantastic at 12 weeks old!

But as for how long before he can go through the night is anyone's guess ~ it can vary hugely between dogs, can depend on the timing of their last meal, how much they've had to drink, how active they've been during the day etc.

At the moment, all you can do is be thankful you've got such an obliging puppy & give him a bit of time to grow up before risking changing the routine. 12 weeks is still very young to expect him to go through the night.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2010, 07:01 AM
Thanks for your quick reply.

I was amazed when he whined in the night in the the first week and went out side to pee, he was only eight weeks old then!

The routine is fine as I would rather get up than clean up...lol

Although I am a tad tired its all good.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
We have a 12 week old labrador who is great.

He goes the bed at between 10-11 and then usually whines to go outside for a pee/poo at about 3am, then goes back to bed and wakes again about 6-7 for a pee. The house is then awake and getting ready for our day. He has been like this since day one so I think I am quite lucky.

When do you think the 3am one will be in the past?

Hi jols it is thought puppies do not begin to have a good control over their bodily functions until 16 weeks, after that time they can wait progressively longer to go out .
This varies from dog to dog and can depended to some extent on how the breeder and subsequent owners handled the puppies .
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks....................so after 16 weeks do you think when he whines [i can just about hear his little whimper] I should make him wait a while or shoot straight there as i have been doing? Or will he just think that is the way to go and never stop lol.
Shey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Ours is now 4 months and pretty much the same as that most nights hes goes out before bed 10.30 usually or 10 at the earliest then he usually wakes me up around 3-4 to go out sometimes i get lucky and its about 2 then he wont wake up til 6-7 when its time to get up anyway but hes been known to stay asleep till VERY late 9-10+ lol in the morning hes a lazy one but he will always be late out some point in the night
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Thanks....................so after 16 weeks do you think when he whines [i can just about hear his little whimper] I should make him wait a while or shoot straight there as i have been doing? Or will he just think that is the way to go and never stop lol.
Hi jols I would continue to take your puppy out when he whines. Gradually he should need to go out less and may wake later and later, eventually he should sleep thought the night without waking. I can't give you an exact time for the latter, puppies vary considerably for the previously mentioned reasons.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the replies I shall carry on then as I have been doing and let nature take its course...................
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Feeling very lucky with our 12 week old springer pup that we have had for just over two weeks, he generally crashes out around 9ish and then is too tired often to wee any later, he has once woken us at 3am but all the other nights has been going around 5-6am before going out,he is then put back in his crate till just before 7ish when he wakes us up.
vgstar44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by LynnB1 View Post
Feeling very lucky with our 12 week old springer pup that we have had for just over two weeks, he generally crashes out around 9ish and then is too tired often to wee any later, he has once woken us at 3am but all the other nights has been going around 5-6am before going out,he is then put back in his crate till just before 7ish when he wakes us up.
Must be a Spaniel thing!!!

Bracken was the exact same when we first got him waking us at 5am on the dot.

Crates are fab tho...mines is an absolute godsend
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >