View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 04:58 PM

My dog has a luxating patella, what happens now?

Just looking for a bit of advice and maybe some personal experiences regarding this.

Molly was doing zoomies around the living room this evening and managed to do something to her leg. She was obviously in lots of pain and her leg was sticking out at a funny angle so I rushed her to the vets. It transpired that she had popped her knee out of it's socket and that she has a luxating patella.

The leg is fine now, she has had a shot of anti inflammatory tonight and I've been given some more to put in her food for the next 10 days until she goes back for her follow up appointment. She's being kept calm(ish) with the help of a DAP collar and I've been told not to do too much in the way of walks for the next 10 days.

My question is, what happens now? Are there precautions I should be taking to stop the condition from worsening? Will she still be okay to go for long walks after the 10 days are up or will she be stuck with little on lead walks forever? My vet mentioned the possibility of an operation, what does this entail and how successful is it likely to be?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I had a dog do this when he was young 9 years later he has never done it again. He lives a normal life.
Eddie'smum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2010, 05:33 PM
This is I think is a discolated kneecap, okay in dogs disasterous in horses!! There has been loads of research in dogs.. so am hoping/assuming she will okay, recover and live a normal life.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes with poor Molly.

xxx
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Here is a link to look at. It is about the condition in Staffords but it is more or less the same

http://www.staffords.co.uk/sbtvet/patella.htm
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I had a dog do this when he was young 9 years later he has never done it again. He lives a normal life.
This is great to hear! Fingers crossed this is a one off for us too!

Originally Posted by Eddie'smum View Post
This is I think is a discolated kneecap, okay in dogs disasterous in horses!! There has been loads of research in dogs.. so am hoping/assuming she will okay, recover and live a normal life.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes with poor Molly.

xxx
Thank you

Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
Here is a link to look at. It is about the condition in Staffords but it is more or less the same

http://www.staffords.co.uk/sbtvet/patella.htm
That's a great link, thank you! Very informative, especially about the operation!
Q/A
New Member!
Male 

18-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Ask your vet about Hydrotherapy. I've swam many dogs with a luxating patella and achieved great results.

http://www.quietacres.co.uk
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Q/A View Post
Ask your vet about Hydrotherapy. I've swam many dogs with a luxating patella and achieved great results.

http://www.quietacres.co.uk
Fantastic, I'll mention it to my vet when we go for our follow up appointment & see what she says Thanks!