View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bcfclee27
New Member!
Male 

11-08-2010, 04:33 AM

Picking up the little dog around certain breeds ?

On another thread someone said about how it was bad for me and my gf to pick up our bichon/chiuahaha cross when bigger dogs approached.

I must state that we only do this rarely if dave growls at them, as some dogs approach him quite fast and he gets clearly scared.

We usually just leave him as i understand that he needs to build his confidence and if we pick him up it almost shows him that hes right to be scared and growl etc.

But i read another thread tonite about the husky running over to the old ladys little dog and picking it up shook it and killed it.

This got me thinking, should we be very careful with the type of dogs that approach dave ???
He is the loveliest little dog in the world and we would be devastated if anything ever happened to him. Because although i want him to interact with other dogs normally, the fact he could be killed or badly hurt so quickly by bigger dogs got me thinking is it worth the risk of a freak incident ???

Just wanted peoples opinions on this.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
I do understand your fears, especially after reading about the husky in Canada, but try to put it into perspective. It is very rare for this sort of thing to happen. Most dogs do not react like this to the sight of a small dog. Some dogs/breeds with high prey drive, when already aroused, may rush at a small fast-moving dog (e.g.racing greyhounds), but it is not common.

Your best bet is to remain vigilant when out & about with Dave. If you see another dog that you think may be a problem, try not to let Dave associate you picking him up with the sight of another dog ~ otherwise that's when you could create problems. Instead try to call him to you, reward the recall, then pick him up.

Conversely, if you see dogs that you know are fine with Dave, or other smallish dogs, then allow Dave to interact normally with them.

The last thing you want to do is instil a fear of other dogs into your dog, so try to set up instances when Dave can have good positive experiences. Maybe there is a dog-walking group or training classes near you that would allow you to meet owners of other small dogs, so that Dave can have some "nice" friends ?
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Ironically, I am always tempted to pick up my huskies when they are approached by off-lead terriers. Walking my dogs in our local park our dogs are always on lead (as huskies always should be unless in an enclosed area) and the only problems we have ever had from other dogs has been from off-lead terriers. Other dogs will approach in a friendly manner to say hello and they will all have a happy sniff-fest. Many of the terriers just come running right into their faces growling and snarling. Our huskies have never retaliated, but I wouldn't blame them if they did.
If people cannot control their dogs - whatever size they are - I wish they would keep them on lead.

Mick
mac82
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-08-2010, 11:24 AM
we have recently acquired a papillon, we also have a mastiff, big dogs can be perfectly fine with small dogs but when you have a delicate small dog you do need to be careful, obviously they are not as robust as a terrier type! the breeder of our little pap knows of 6 dogs(paps) this year who have been killed by large dogs(she does know ALOT of dogs though!), it all depends on how well behaved the other dogs are, how excitable they are, cos it only takes a larger dog to get too excited and stamp on him and he needs the vets.
at the moment we have ours on a long line (recall training) which helps when meeting other dogs,cos we can gauge other dogs before our little boy meets them, as yet we have never lifted him up and away from another dog!!!
he plays and interacts with big dogs, including estrelas, lab types,jack russells and other terrier types so its more a matter of being careful and being vigilant as its the responsibility of small dog owners to keep their own dogs safe, not for large breed dog owners to be victimised because because they happen to have a large dog.(suffered with that one as well with the mastiff!)
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
I never used to pick up my dog, but last year she got attacked by two PB types, as a result I do get very nervous around these types and if they are off lead I will walk he other way, if they come over I will pick Missy up. But with regards to big dogs in general I have no problems. In fact her favourite playmate over the park is a huge St Bernard - she looks like a mini-me of it.
I think you have to trust your own judgement - it is better to be safe than sorry.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 11:51 AM
we have Chinese Cresteds and yes although we also have an Italian Spinone living with them, they can sometimes get fearful of bigger dogs running over. Picking them up (imo) is the worst thing I could do, as surely this just makes them more fearful as by your reaction you are clearly telling them, there is something to be worried about. If you have a dog that is fearful of larger dogs then the best thing you could do is meet up with friendly big dogs - so your dog gets use to the size difference in them and realises that their not going to hurt him.

I would like to think that most owners would have non dog friendly dogs on leads, when around areas that other dog walkers use so not much to worry about.

Dave could be growling for a number of reasons and to be fair this could start another dog off, so has to be something you work with.
Do you think you are confident when a larger dog comes towards you? Maybe you are sending fear down the lead to Dave and causing him to growl?

I to like others wish people could keep their dogs under control. I have been nervouse before when I have seen dogs coming towards us not because of size but because of the dogs body language and the owners frantic attempts to recall the dog. In that case I put mine on the lead and walk in the other direction.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Having had small dogs in the past I would agree with Missy01, you need to make your own judgements.

I always remember one fateful day when I was walking down to the pillar box - about 5 mins from home and had 4 out together and in distance saw a [off lead] black Lab coming towards us purposefully. It closed very fast with its totally ineffective owner trailing behind shouting "He wont hurt your dogs". Fortunately I didnt believe her especially when he broke into a run growling as he came, I had presence of mind to lift ours [two at a time] and deposit them in the garden of the house I was beside at the time [goodness knows what the people wouldve thought if they had seen me] - I had just dropped the second 2 when the Lab reached me - barking and snarling and lept up at me snarling in my face - my letters flew all over the street - and Mrs Lab came puffing up exclaiming - "Oh I dont know whats got into him, hes never did that before". However I later found out that he was agressive to any dog that he met Blooming stupid owner

Oh - I was used to Labs as my father always had at least one when we were growing up

So my advice is - judge each situation as you come to it, better to be safe than sorry
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I agree with wiolbar
if the only time a dog is picked up is when there is a scary dog there then they will associate getting picked up with that
If you train your dog to come to you and getting picked up is a fun part of a game then it can be a safe place
You can also teach your dog to get behind you when you deal with a situation

TBH I accidently found out that picking Mia up keeps her calm in a situation where I have messed up and take her somewhere where she cant cope with

but its not something I would do all the time
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I think that with very small dogs you do have to be careful when encountering the larger dogs. When there is such a size difference, even play can unintentionally hurt the small dog. I think I would learn to be very aware of what dogs are in the immediate vicinity when you are out and treat each encounter individually. If possible, it is better to avoid getting into a habit of always picking him up, but sometimes there maybe no option with a loose running large dog around, especially if you do not know it or its owner. If the other dog is on a lead and under congrol, then fine - no need to pick up your dog. Any introductions to larger dogs (and even smaller ones sometimes) should be gently controlled and then, hopefully if the encouners are positive, your dog will overcome his fear. I said before, you will probably always need to watch out for him as smaller dogs are more vulnerable and not as strong as others, so less able to defend themselves. Not all dog owners are aware of the affect their dog has on others and this applies whether the dog is a large one or a smaller one.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I think that with very small dogs you do have to be careful when encountering the larger dogs. When there is such a size difference, even play can unintentionally hurt the small dog. I think I would learn to be very aware of what dogs are in the immediate vicinity when you are out and treat each encounter individually. If possible, it is better to avoid getting into a habit of always picking him up, but sometimes there maybe no option with a loose running large dog around, especially if you do not know it or its owner. If the other dog is on a lead and under control, then fine - no need to pick up your dog. Any introductions to larger dogs (and even smaller ones sometimes) should be gently controlled and then, hopefully if the encounters are positive, your dog will overcome his fear. I said before, you will probably always need to watch out for him as smaller dogs are more vulnerable and not as strong as others, so less able to defend themselves. Not all dog owners are aware of the affect their dog has on others and this applies whether the dog is a large one or a smaller one.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >