Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Small animal boarding

Wanted some more info on this as I am in a rut and need to get out of it before its too late! I am hoping to go part time at work in the new year and build up my own company doing web design with my OH but i also wanted another way to try and combine what i love with what i do and thought of this. There is nowhere in telford other then pet shops that do small animal boarding so i wanted to know if anyone has used this before and how much it was ect. We now have a fenced in secure garden and a large shed (With windows and electric) which with some work could be good for hutches in the winter and a spare room. I used to work in a pet shop and have owned most small animals before but wanted to know what other people with small furries do.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I have 70 ish small animals, - rats, mice, degu, hedgehogs, hens, gerbils and I use a petsitter who visits twice a day when we are away. Personally I would not want to take them somewhere in case they caught anything. My petsitter is always very very busy - maybe that's an idea?
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I usually have someone come into them as I have a bonded group of bunnies that can't be moved into hutches etc. Like Muddiwarx I do also worry about them catching things too. I certainly would consider a pet sitter though. On the other hand I do know a lot of people who use boarding for their small furries etc. Why don't you post on one of the guinea pig or rabbit forums and ask what people want and how much they would pay? I can pm you a link to a couple of busy ones if that would help?
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I am in the process of doing the same thing. We are getting an 8x6 shed which I intend to split in 2 and add 2 runs. I am going to cover the floor in lino and seal it so it can be disinfected between each pet. The runs will be on patio slabs so they too can be disinfected. All the beds, toys etc will be plastic so they can be cleaned. I will insist that all pets must be vaccinated. Also remember insurance and terms and conditions
Those of you who get people to come to your pets at home, you much do you pay if you don't mind me asking? And what services do you get?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Sorry, I can't offer any advice as I don't know anything about these things but Goodluck xxxxx
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
I will insist that all pets must be vaccinated.
If you're taking in small caged pets then most of them can't be vaccinated against anything.

There are several nasty viruses that can pass between different species (Sendai, Tyzzer's disease, bordetella for instance) and there's a very nasty one currently affecting rats (SDAv), so in reality, taking in caged pets from different sources could be extremely risky.

When I had small animals I always had someone come in to feed them, or they went to be cared for by someone who didn't have animals of their own on the premises.