View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 01:06 PM

Which is the best diet for border collies?

Hello,

I'm getting a border collie puppy 20th August but after reading this section, I'm wondering what will be the best diet for him? my past dogs I have fed on ceaser dog food, how good is that? But I just wanted opinions on what would be best for a border collie pup and adult? I plan to show him and get him trained in agility and obedience, Plus a loving companion to take on long walks.

Thanks again.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-07-2010, 01:34 PM
My current BC pup (Thorgeir) seems to be doing very well on Baker's Complete (which will not sit well with a lot of Dogsey members) as, in this neck of the woods, there ain't a lot of choice!

My previous boys used to do well on minced offcuts from our local butcher, supplemented with tablets of SA37 to ensure proper vitamin intake.

All mine started life as farm dogs, accustomed to eating whatever they were given! (Often, any old crap the farmer had lying about!)

So I spoiled them............

Snorri

P.S. Thorgeir likes mince and tatties!
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Mine get fed a BARF diet (Bones and Raw Food).

If I had to feed a complete food it would be (in order of preference) Burns, Origen, James Well Beloved.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 02:42 PM
The best food is the one that suits him. I always avoid artificial preservatives, sugar, colourings etc.....just as you would with a baby.
I fed my two on Burns mini bites as puppies and Dale did well on Burns adult. Chip was so skinny on Burns adult that I ended up changing to Arden Grange and they're both happily settled on that now. I like the look of Fish 4 dogs but I'm afraid its so much more expensive than Arden Grange that I haven't tried it. I think its as well to find something you're happy with and stick to it.
Have a look at James Wellbeloved too. Its another option.
_Charlotte_
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Whats BARF?

Is there any wet food any of you recommend?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Barf is raw meat
can stand for Bones And Raw Food or something about biologically something
But its raw meat, bones and offal and possibly veg and suppliments
Mine are on barf
Friends of mine had theirs on bakers - until a behaviourist said it was making their hyper dog more hyper - colouring and sugar

Collies dont really need anything different from any other dog - unless you are working them 8 hours a day

I think ceaser would be v expensive for big dogs - dunno if its good or not