Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Garlic capsules

After reading about garlic being a benificial supplement to my dogs diet I bought soft garlic capsules from holland and barret today. They are 1000mg and it says 1 to 4 per day with food. So im wondering if 1 a day for each of my dogs is okay? Flint is 25kg and simba is 8kg 13 week old puppy.
Thanks x
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly but I would say, please be careful giving garlic to dogs (or any other animals). Garlic can be quite harsh on the digestive system, whatever other benefits it may have, so if you've got a dog with a bit of a sensitive tum, garlic may make the problem worse. And if you are buying garlic tabs intended for human use, the strength may be far too high for a dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 12:23 PM
That is quite a high stength even for a human. Di d you tell the folk in H + B what you were buying them for? They are generally quite helpful towards pet owners and some of their stores do a pet section.

I used to give garlic to ours but then read that being a member of the onion family [poisonous] to be very careful so now about once a month for a few days I would give them a capsule but the lowest dose - just popped onto their site and lowest they seem to do is 300mg - much better for your dog. I wouldnt give to a puppy - only adult dogs. Take the higher strength yourself [good for the heart] and the next time you are in H + B get the lowest strength for the dogs