View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 06:51 PM

Dog parlour 'baked our Shih Tzu to death.

Dog parlour 'baked our Shih Tzu to death.

A GRIEVING family told yesterday how their pet Shih Tzu puppy was "cooked" to death at a pet grooming parlour.
Mum-of-three Sarah Melton said pedigree Daisy died in "unbearable" heat after allegedly being left unattended in a drying cage.

The six-month-old pup was due to have her fur cut, washed and dried, and her teeth cleaned.

Sarah's son Travis, 15, dropped off Daisy at Pets at Home but returned 90 minutes later and was told: "Your dog has died

Travis called his parents but was too upset to speak so the manager had to break the grim news. Dad Stuart, 29, said: "He said there had been a tragic accident and our dog was dead.

I was too shocked to reply." A staff member had placed the pup in a drying cage - then went to lunch after asking two colleagues to keep an eye on her, it was claimed. But the family do not know how long Daisy was left.

Sarah, 33, who had Daisy cremated, said: "If anyone was in that room they would have been alerted. But nobody did anything and it carried on to the point where it was as if she was literally 'cooked'."

"It must have been unbearable for her for quite some time until she finally collapsed and died.

"Daisy was in a shocking state when I saw her body, she must have gone through absolute hell."

Daisy died from choking on vomit after becoming distressed. A vet's report said there were possible signs of heat stroke.

Two staff have been suspended and an inquiry launched at the store in Sheffield, South Yorks. A spokesman said: "We have given our condolences to the family."

CLICKY HERE
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 06:56 PM
how hot are these dryers? there are a few groomers on this forum, so with some luck we will find out how this equipment works,

if all that is said in the article is true, its a total sham that a dog would be left while someone went to lunch...
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't like those drying cabinets at all, I've heard from groomers before about dogs getting their tags stuck in the grates at the bottom and being stuck with their head to the floor for the whole process, and even when theres no problem I can't imagine it being too pleasant?? Poor little Daisy though, what a terrible death
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
I don't like those drying cabinets at all, I've heard from groomers before about dogs getting their tags stuck in the grates at the bottom and being stuck with their head to the floor for the whole process, and even when theres no problem I can't imagine it being too pleasant?? Poor little Daisy though, what a terrible death
the one in the picture looked like a big blue dryer that is put at the front of a normal dog cage?
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
the one in the picture looked like a big blue dryer that is put at the front of a normal dog cage?
Ah I didn't click the link, the one I was thinking of is like a cabinet with a mesh floor where air blows up from below.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh how sad. Run free, Daisy.

I don't like these drying cabinets. Don't think I would trust them. Or the dryers that fix to the front of cages. Wouldn't trust them. Would much rather dry a dog by hand with a high velocity dryer and know at all times how the dog feels. Much safer, I think.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I worked at a parlour where a dog nearly died from being put into one of those dryers (fan blowing hot air through a metal grill floor) and he was being checked every few minutes. He was elderly and in poor health and shouldn't really have been in the parlour let alone in a drying cage. I hate the things and that was just one of many similar reasons I left that place after just 6 weeks.

Poor little pup. RIP precious. xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Good grief.....
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Oh how sad. Run free, Daisy.

I don't like these drying cabinets. Don't think I would trust them. Or the dryers that fix to the front of cages. Wouldn't trust them. Would much rather dry a dog by hand with a high velocity dryer and know at all times how the dog feels. Much safer, I think.
I totally agree. It's nothing but laziness and greed in my opinion. Sure it can take an hour to thoroughly dry a large, long haired dog, but at least he can breath and isn't being blasted with hot air he can't escape from. Some parlours are run like factory conveyour belts.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I totally agree. It's nothing but laziness and greed in my opinion. Sure it can take an hour to thoroughly dry a large, long haired dog, but at least he can breath and isn't being blasted with hot air he can't escape from. Some parlours are run like factory conveyour belts.
Yes, I'm with you, Claire.

When my Molly used to go to the groomers I asked did they use the cage dryers as under no circumstances did I want her put it one. Thankfully none of them used them.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >