View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 05:56 PM

Anybody had Tramadol for their dog before?

What are the side effects your dogs showed?

Zeke was given some for after his general anaesthetic and xrays on Friday where they manipulated his knee and shoulders quite a bit.

However, he is whining and restless, also a little anxious looking on his walks, jumpy and a bit nervy (not like him - he's so laid back usually) could these be side effects of the Tramadol?

He doesn't seem to be in pain, he only had x rays, and he's eating, drinking and walking well (shorter and more frequent walks all weekend) So I've stopped the tablets after 2 days, the vet gave us 5 days worth and said he may not need the full 5 days worth..

We have to leave him to go to work tomorrow, I think I might give the vets a call in the morning.
montysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 06:14 PM
By the sound of it he has had a lot of manipulation done on his leg which would make it sore for him I would think. Maybe that is why he is behaving strangely?

You could give the vets a ring in the morning and see what they recommend, but it could be that he just needs to have a bit more pain relief than he has had.

Thats just a guess though, the vet could tell you more.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 07:05 PM
My boy was on Tramadol for 10 days, no problems at all.
If it is the pain, stopping the pills will make it worse
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, I'll ring them first thing.

I googled the side effects and of Tramadol for dogs "mild narcotic and dog owners should be aware of potential side effects." This could be it?

He's IS quite mobile though, lying, scratching, doing all sorts of moving about - quite flexible compared to when he went in, he's just whining and looking very anxious..not himself at all.

He's also been put on an anti-inflammatory tablet (Carprogesic) but he's had them before so I'm guessing he's ok with this one, he's still taking these so I'm hoping that these are helping enough for the pain for now till I ask the vet.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 11:38 PM
I once had a patient who was on Tramadol tell me that I was "inside out"! Although I'm sure it isn't that bad for dogs!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 02:11 AM
The usual effect is quite the opposite, it has a sedative effect. That would be an odd response.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I once had a patient who was on Tramadol tell me that I was "inside out"! Although I'm sure it isn't that bad for dogs!
I've heard similar from asking around, cloud cuckoo land...

Difficult not to compare them with the human form of the pill isn't it!

Thanks Muttzrule, yes his side effects, restlesness and whining, are outweighing any 'sedation'! Now he's off them (if the vet agrees) I hope he might get good sleep today.
joto
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I believe tramadol saved my girls life. She was on maximum dose tramadol + steriods & ABs when she had a slipped disc last year. The tramadol kept her pain free while she was on total bed rest. PTS would have been the only option without pain relief as she was in agony.

There were no side affects to the tramadol, but loss of muscle due to steroids and zero excercise. She's off the tamadol now and just on long term metacam and is doing great!