Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vicstick86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Howly puppy.

Ive had my puppy less than a week, and if we pop out for an hour shes sits by the door and crys/howls/bark the whole time. It makes me really sad.. and I worry it wont get better. I know its really early days and ive got to give it time..so I was after peoples experiences .. to make me feel better. And any tips u may have for stopping her. cheers
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi Vic, I'm sure there will be someone along soon with more experience than me but my thoughts are;
Leave pup for short periods of time, gradually building up the time you are away.
Leave her in another room for a while so that she is used to being alone.
Don't make a fuss of going out. Say nothing to her just go.
Make sure she has plenty of toys and chews that are maybe only given to her when when she is left.
Do you use a crate? Sometimes pups feel more secure in their own crate.
Good luck, I'm sure things will get better.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Hiya

How old is your pup? what breed is she? do you have a crate for her?

Her behaviour is perfectly normal. You have only had her for less than a week so she will still be rather unsettled. New puppies have an awful lot to deal with in terms of changes at such a young age, so be prepared for more to come.

If you have to leave her alone, put her in her crate. Make sure she has a comfy bed and try putting an item of your old clothing in; rub it all over you so it has your scent on. When my dogs were young pups, I also put a sheet over the top of the crate to make them feel secure. I also used a Snugglesafe Heat Pad; pups can really feel the cold. Put something safe in there for her to chew on (Nylabone toys, Kongs, etc.) and leave the radio or TV on for some background noise.

Also, practice leaving her regularly for short periods, even if the pup is in one room and you are in the next. Try and only come back into a room if she is not making a fuss. Remember it is very early days yet, too.
vicstick86
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Thanks for your suggestions so far. really helpful.
Shes round about 16 weeks, and is a rescue from a puppy farm. She is a westie cross cocker possibly... she has not had much socialization and was with her litter mates 24/7 till two weeks ago, and now shes an only dog.
she is also unable to go out at the moment walking as she hasnt has her final jab, so I think this is making it worse.
I try not to expect too much of her as she has been through a lot, but I dont want to make mistakes and turn it into seperation anxiety when shes older.
I leave her toys, squeakies, filled kong, nylabone when I go out, on but she doesnt seem interested in any of them when we leave and sits at the door crying and its a real painful howl. Am getting a crate this weekend.