View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2010, 04:43 PM

Wont Go Potty When Raining, And Scared Of Thunder What to do?

Alright i have 2 problems

The Basset Hound Betty I just adopted for those who dont know she is almost 16years old . Well its storming outside and everytime it thunders she go tareing through the house then hides and wont come out and whines and wimpers and howls, and runs throught jumps in my lap jumps off my lap shes just going crazy , is she to set in her ways to help her? If I can help her what can I do?

And now Chevy shes 5months old now and it hasent really rained since shes been born or since i've had her , but now since its raining she refuses to go outside and potty I picked her up and we went outside together she started refused to walk and go potty but when it thundered O BUDDY she ran for that door just as quick as she could. And climbed in her bed and layed down

what can i do

any kind of advice would be helpful i've never had problems with these kind of things

all my other dogs loved the rain loved to go play in the rain
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2010, 05:25 PM
the 16 yr old may be a toughie

one imagines that her sensory faculties arent very good?

you couldprovide her with a den to escape to and leave the radio in high

dont reassure her, that makes them more scared

some herbal calmers or resceu remedy may help to

re the pup, it doenst help she is influenced by the negative reactions of the oldun

you need take to take it slow

when you have a little drizzle, stand in the arch of your doorway and feed her lortsof treats and just chat away.

build it up from there

another reason for an out of the way den for the oldun is she wont be around to when you are working on the youngun

you can play thunder CD's indoors as well

first day, 2 mins at a time on low volume and feed both dogs treats.
build that up slowly too

this will take at least a few weeks for pup, you may never fully improve oldun

btw way, you americans, its called "going to the toilet", not "go potty"

go on spaz, you just know you can say "toilet" - dare ya
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the 16 yr old may be a toughie

one imagines that her sensory faculties arent very good?

you couldprovide her with a den to escape to and leave the radio in high

dont reassure her, that makes them more scared

some herbal calmers or resceu remedy may help to

re the pup, it doenst help she is influenced by the negative reactions of the oldun

you need take to take it slow

when you have a little drizzle, stand in the arch of your doorway and feed her lortsof treats and just chat away.

build it up from there

another reason for an out of the way den for the oldun is she wont be around to when you are working on the youngun

you can play thunder CD's indoors as well

first day, 2 mins at a time on low volume and feed both dogs treats.
build that up slowly too

this will take at least a few weeks for pup, you may never fully improve oldun

btw way, you americans, its called "going to the toilet", not "go potty"

go on spaz, you just know you can say "toilet" - dare ya

thank you for your reply i will try that . Any advice right now is helpful ..

going to the toilet huh
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Hehehe at toilet vs. potty.

I agree that its going to be tough with Betty. But maybe a crate would help. They also make these things called anxiety wraps that you put on a dog to make it feel secure. They are kind of expensive but I think you could get a similar effect but putting a tight fitting tshirt on betty and seeing if it calms her down.

With Chevy, its like she says, you need to build up gradually that storms are no big deal by developing positive associations to storm sounds. Just google thunderstorm CD or go to Amazon.com and you can find one to use for training.

I read a great article in Bark magazine about training the thunderstorm phobic dog. It came out before Bark went digital so I'll see if I can find it and scan it in for you.
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
Hehehe at toilet vs. potty.

I agree that its going to be tough with Betty. But maybe a crate would help. They also make these things called anxiety wraps that you put on a dog to make it feel secure. They are kind of expensive but I think you could get a similar effect but putting a tight fitting tshirt on betty and seeing if it calms her down.

With Chevy, its like she says, you need to build up gradually that storms are no big deal by developing positive associations to storm sounds. Just google thunderstorm CD or go to Amazon.com and you can find one to use for training.

I read a great article in Bark magazine about training the thunderstorm phobic dog. It came out before Bark went digital so I'll see if I can find it and scan it in for you.
i will try that next storm we have. and thanks greatly apprceiated toilet vs potty
shane2010
New Member!
Male 

28-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Storms can be scary. Sometimes I dont like going out into storms and I am human. Sometimes putting out newspaper and training them before hand may help. In case of stormy weather or bad weather in particular. I do agree with the gradual apporach. But storms can also sneak up. If you know a storm is approaching maybe take your dog out for a walk before the storm hits.

Shane
spaznchevy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2010, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by shane2010 View Post
Storms can be scary. Sometimes I dont like going out into storms and I am human. Sometimes putting out newspaper and training them before hand may help. In case of stormy weather or bad weather in particular. I do agree with the gradual apporach. But storms can also sneak up. If you know a storm is approaching maybe take your dog out for a walk before the storm hits.

Shane
thanks shane

and welcome to dogsey