Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Cruciate op

Which one to go for, anyone have experience of this?
What was the out come?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 04:13 PM
My rescue bitch has had both knees done the 'traditional' way (don't know what proper name is, but its effectively the replacement artificial ligament).

I spent a bit of time considering whether to go for the TPLO but I have to be honest and say that the deciding factor in our case was cost...TPLO would've cost in the region of £2,500 (each knee), artificial ligament cost £400 (each knee). We didn't know when we took her on that her right cruciate had completely ruptured some time before and her left was hanging on a by a thread. So even if she had've of been insured, the ops wouldn't have been covered as they would've been classed as a pre-existing condition.

It worked out fine for us, but I do think considerations may be different with a larger breed. Mind you, when I was talking to the canine hydrotherapist we use about how I wish we could've afforded the TPLO (because everything I read made it sound so much better) he told us that he thought it was still relatively too new to know exactly how successful it is - i.e. there aren't that many old dogs around that have had that surgery years ago to show how it holds up. He said that the ones he had seen were significantly stiffer in their movement than other dogs who'd had the replacement ligament.

Sorry - that has probably caused you more confusion than anything else!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 04:25 PM
My Lab has had both done - traditional way not TPLO also

About 8 years ago and back hen the vet reccomended taht TPLO was only better for heavier dogs - may all have changed since then. Must say my girl was so sound after her ops - moved better than ever before
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:23 PM
My late SBT had both done tradional way, he did brilliantly and I was delighted with the outcome
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Thank you all, I've got to make a decision tonight, so keep your stories coming PLEASE
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:52 PM
My Akita, Nala, recently passed to the bridge, had a TPLO on both knees within 9 months of each other.

The first was done when se was about 5. She passed 3 weeks ago aged nearly 15 and, although she had arthritis, the knees held up well and she was going on walks until the day she died.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Rocky had his done a few years ago, here's our original thread which you may find useful:

Slocom TPLO Plates - Cruciate Op

Touch wood he's been fine since
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
My Akita, Nala, recently passed to the bridge, had a TPLO on both knees within 9 months of each other.

The first was done when se was about 5. She passed 3 weeks ago aged nearly 15 and, although she had arthritis, the knees held up well and she was going on walks until the day she died.
I didn't think TPLO had been around that long.
Did any of you find that the joint seemed always swollen because of the change of angle of the joint?
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 06:37 PM
It was new surgery when Nala had it done and I had to travel miles to visit the surgeon who had trained in the States. It was definitely at least 9 years ago because we had only just rescued Willow and she is 10 and a half now.

Her knees were fine until her later years when she did get some swelling but that could well have been the arthritis as much as the TPLO.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Chellie View Post
It was new surgery when Nala had it done and I had to travel miles to visit the surgeon who had trained in the States. It was definitely at least 9 years ago because we had only just rescued Willow and she is 10 and a half now.

Her knees were fine until her later years when she did get some swelling but that could well have been the arthritis as much as the TPLO.
Thank you.
I think whatever surgery they have there is an increased risk of arthritis
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >