Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 03:11 PM

Humping - should we ignore?

Hi guys,
Tyler has decided it would be fun to start humping his blankets,never had a dog that's done this before
Do we just ignore it or tell him NO?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 03:23 PM
I really do not know!

Takara always humps her bed! She drags it through into the other room and humps it, when I try to take it back she follows me attached to the bed and still humping

What we have started to do is to shut her bed in her crate when she starts to hump it, then she gets it back and if she tries again, we shut it in the crate again.
It seems to be working so if you use a crate it might be a good idea, otherwise try some way of removing his blankets from the situation until he's calmed down.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 10:09 PM
hmm we used to have a Yorkie that would hump the cat, his teddy bears, pillows and his bed - we used to tell him no and he usually stopped it - poor thing, don't think he ever understood why he did it
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad
Hi guys,
Tyler has decided it would be fun to start humping his blankets,never had a dog that's done this before
Do we just ignore it or tell him NO?

Benji used to do that a lot when he was younger and I used to tell him to stop it he would even do it to my then 3 year old daughter if he got chance Anyway we had him castrated and that was the end of his norty behaviour
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Give him something else to do Call him to you and play a game or give him a toy. Distraction usually works
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 06:39 AM
I hid the teddies and Harvey hasn't done it since!! well not that I have noticed
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Loki trys to hump me! Never seen him trying to hump inanimate objects though, I always just say off and move so he has no choice but to get off and distract him with something else, seems to work most of the time!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 08:48 AM
Toby used to hump a lot when he was younger Now he only seems to do it to my OH when he is watching the football, must be the tension in the air! or maybe Toby is a football hooligan
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 09:23 AM
bruno does it for attention - for example if I am standing talking to Oh in the garden and Bruno wants me to chuck his ball for him and I am ignoring him he will start humping my leg - he usually gets shaken off - but it hurts if he digs his dew claws in so i would try and stop it as soon as possible !!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks all,
Have changed his bedding and since then he hasn't bothered,going to try distraction and telling him no and see how we get on
Thanks again
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >