Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:10 AM

Today is the day I give up smoking!

I've been thinking about it for a while - I buy my fags in bulk in Spain & am down to my last pkt of 200 so I had it in my mind they would be my last, but should I wait until I've finished them all!
Anyway got up this morning had my usual 2 coffees & 2 fags & just thought this is ridiculous. The kitchen door is open to let the smoke off & I'm freezing. So the decision was made & I put the fag out & stuck on a patch.
I gave up in 2008 for 7 weeks, then xmas came & we went away & I started again so this is my 2nd attempt. I'm using the patches & the inhalors (I've got loads left from last time) and speaking from experience from last time, it was only really difficult for the first 24 hours after that the smell of others made me feel sick, so I'm hoping for the same to happen this time. Hubby smokes so I'll be able to pick up the scent from him, it's up to him if he wants to quit (nothing worse than being pressured)
Tried to change my routine this morning, took Tilly out & when we came back instead of my usual coffee & fag I had a glass of Orange & didn't stay in the kitchen. Got a bit fraught when I couldn't get into my emails though!
if I can get through this next 24 hours without climbing the walls or killing someone, I think I could be on my way!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
You go, girl!

Baz and I used the patches when we gave up. They made it soooo easy.

That was five years ago now

Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
Good luck
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:16 AM
OH Brilliant!! I stopped smoking in march, no NRT just a clean break! Now if I visit my smoking friend even though she doesn't smoke when I am there the smell impregnates your clothes and hair(now I make sure I don't wash my hair before I go there!!! )
I've just got through my first smoke free xmas and new year for 18 years and I am feeling a bit smug!

Good luck, it does get easier and if you are ready you will succeed! Well done.
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Good luck
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
good luck!!!

i gave up 6 or so years ago. i've lost count now!! but 3 months after i did, my asthma that i'd had since i was 17 just went.

the one thing that i remember that really helped was to take it one day at a time. it can be totally overwhelming to think you're never going to have another cigarette when you first stop. so every day is an achievement, and eventually you won't even think about it!!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for your support guys & well done to those of you that have done it. I've smoked since I was 15 (that's 28 years) except when I was pregnant, amazingly they made me sick then, but always started back up. It's only really been in the last few years I've thought about it more. Since the public ban & since being made redundant. When I was at work, we only had 3 fag breaks per day, so I used to smoke around 10 a day. Now I'm working from home I smoke a whole pkt of 20 per day - sometimes more. Most of the time, just for the sake of it! So I'm permanently perched in the kitchen by the door.
I really want an embroidery machine so am going to save the money for that. It's a big incentive as I really really want one & they £1000 plus!
Est
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Good luck Tillymint! Might sound a bit weird, but also think about what cigarettes give you (e.g. for one of my friends, it's about feeling rebellious and a bit of adrenaline as a result; for another it is very comforting when she feels anxious... etc). Whatever that thing is, how else could you get that in your life? You can do this and get your embroidery machine!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Well done. I went cold turkey about 25 years ago. I just told myself "I don`t smoke" and convinced myself I had a touch of `flu. I found Bombay Mix very comforting, I remember
I`d tried all the usual methods before and they didn`t work on me. I hope all goes well. Welcome to the world of smug non-smokers.
BTW you`ll be horrified when your sense of smell comes back and you realise what you and your house smelled like!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Yuck it's a horrid, stinky habit and makes your fingers yellow! ;o)

I quit on 21 Feb 2006, the day I landed back in the UK after 18 month RTW trip and I haven't looked back since. Don't get me wrong, there will always be those ''Oooo I fancy a fag'' moments but when I think how stinky people who smoke are it makes me NEVER want to do it again. I just hope my body will be able to heal back those 15 years I spent smoking. Apparently it takes 2 years for every year smoked!

Good luck, please, please do it this time. I went cold turkey but best thing I found was to remove myself from all associations (alcohol for me) for the first two weeks at least.

xx
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >